The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

View Poll Results: Do You think bright colors & shiny rods, reels, equipment make a difference ?
Yes 13 40.63%
No 10 31.25%
Never Noticed a Difference 5 15.63%
Don't Care. 4 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2009, 08:24 AM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I say, stay low and you could wear diamonds LOL
At the very least you'll be golden.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:37 AM

nearnuff is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Flash

I have mixed feelings about flash and bright colours. On one hand as a photographer I love bright colours for images of anglers on the water on the other hand as a guide I want my clients to be successful. I dont believe on rivers with distinctive lays and current I agree with some posters that it really doesn't matter same on stillwaters with longer casts. Small streams I agree keep it drab and low.
The problem for me with flash is landing fish. In these days of C&R it is important to land and release the fish ASAP. The first time the fish comes to you when landing is the best time. The problem with flash is the fish spooks before it can be netted or tailed and then a long battle ensues until the fish is exausted before it comes to you again. This is true with a lot of species but atlantic salmon definately dont like flash when comeing in. I wear drab clothing and the angler is a distance away so when I net or tail the fish flash is not an issue. This applies to large fish only, smaller fish can be brought to hand and it doesn't matter,so flash is less an issue.
Yellow rainslickers are the worse!!!