The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Flash (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/7285-flash.html)

FISHN50 01-12-2009 02:16 PM

Flash

I was talking to a friend who does a lot of underwater photography & the subject of flash came up. With the trend toward shiny, pretty reels, light color lines, vests etc. it seems that stealth has gone by the wayside. I was wondering how everyone feels about shiny & light colors on the stream. Did ou ever notice the difference???

Sep 01-12-2009 04:45 PM

Re: Flash

I'm a natural colors kind of guy, in pretty much everything, on or off the stream. Wonder what that says about me? :p

Frank Whiton 01-12-2009 05:10 PM

Hi FISHN50,

I don't know how to answer. The important ingredient is where you are fishing and what you are fishing for. In water that is fished a lot any strange color or shape may alarm the fish. Some fish don't seem to mind any noise or flash or bright line or dark line. They just want to eat. Others even a shadow of the rod or line will set them off. In general I try to wear neutral colors. But if a fish is forty feet away and you are out of its cone of vision what you wear doesn't make much difference. If you are fishing a tiny brook that is less than ten feet wide, anything you wear or do can affect the fish.

Frank

OldMan 01-12-2009 05:21 PM

I agree with Frank. On smaller streams I try to not show the fish anything. Especially, something that might flash.

Rip Tide 01-12-2009 05:39 PM

Read the book The Trout and the Fly by Brian Clarke and John Goddard
Extensive research on this and other aspects of trout behavior

Yes.... It matters a great deal

Joni 01-12-2009 05:51 PM

I think it matters, but on streams and rivers more than stillwater.
It is a good Idea to approach rivers and streams with a low profile. I still wear bright colors often with YELLOW being one of my favorites, but I have been known to crawl to the rivers edge.

glassroddr 01-12-2009 07:26 PM

Being primarily a small stream fisherman, I wear out the knees on pants and waders quickly. I like trying to blend in, so I guess to me it does make a difference. At the same time it makes it easier to observe wildlife when you make if harder for animals to spot your movements.

FISHN50 01-12-2009 09:09 PM

The reason I brought the question up is that his videos show a reaction from the fish when a fisherman with a bright reel flashing was 20' away. Bright clothes showed up & were more visible to the fish than I ever thought. Bright lines are very visible from under water & leaders sometimes sparkled in the sun..This was both on heavily fished & not so heavily fished streams. Some times it spooked the fish & sometimes it didn't. Also I was surprised to learn how long it took a spooked fish to return to it's feeding lie. What's everyone s experience with spooked fish & how long does it usually take for them to come back in the waters you fish. I've seen them scoot off never to be seen again & sometimes they feed off your boots.

OldMan 01-12-2009 09:21 PM

I'm always moving upstream. If I screwed up and spooked a fish. I don't wait for it to come back.

Joni 01-12-2009 09:26 PM

Very good post! I think it also has to do with as you said, heavy fished. Like the stillwaters, some have heavy pressure like skiers, boaters, etc and the fish are use to that. Same with some rivers.
Gin clear, is one I think you want to blend in all the way. But deep fast running pools I would think, are not evident.
I however seldom see the glint or flash off reels, although I am sure it happens. Leaders, well I can see that also, thank gawd for thread leaders LOL.