The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Quality products......

How about naming a quality product you have that has outlasted many other things and just keeps on going.

One thing that comes to mind here is my Simms guide weight waders, been closer to ten years than not and they just seem to hang in there.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-12-2009, 02:39 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Quality products......

I actually favor some items that get BETTER with age and use. Like the bearings on some bike gear that I have.
As for fly fishing stuff, I'm a lucky guy, can't think of anything that broke or was short-lived once the fly line manufacturers figured out floating lines should float... right out of the box!
Old 01-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Great thread!

Some favs for quality, as opposed to just expensive, in no particular order-

still going strong after 20+ years:

Matarelli Whip finisher- simple, elegant design, it still rocks the casbah. It amazes me that someone actually worked it all out. Reason enough for me to buy the original instead of less expensive knockoffs.

Patagonia SST jacket- great, you never seem to be too hot or too cold in it whatever the weather. It may be hard to justify at current prices, around 350 now, but was a great investment when i bought it at 160.

Billy Pate Bonefish and Tarpon reels. Heavy, built like a tank, indestructible. If you're in the market for a reel for tough fish but on a budget, it's not a bad option to look for a used one.

Regal Medallion (360 rotary) - Not the best vise for everyone or all tying, but it holds hooks rock solid, no adjustment for different sizes. With the old jaws i have i tie everything from 20 (with some effort and swearing) to 6/0. Somehow i ended up with 3 of them, with a backup for the back up...

Mustad hooks, the original ones, for most stuff these still work for me.

Luhr Jensen Hook Hone- one of those yellow handled jobs, about 7 bucks now. Great if you use large hooks, puts a cutting edge on 1,2,3.

Pfleuger Medalist- a good basic, simple reel, still fine for stuff that doesn't pull too hard. Still use old ones made in the USA as back up reels with odd lines.

Fenwick glass- my first big bucks rod at 35 bucks in the 60's, Still gets some use on small streams. They were the bomb back in the day, and it's still a sweet stick.

And after 10+ years

Hodgeman neoprene waders- don't know how they managed to last this long, but i still use the same pair for cold weather fishing. The only care they've received is to get hosed down once in awhile and thrown in the back of the truck out of sunlight.

Renzetti Tool Caddy- don't know why i like it so much, but it makes life easier at the bench, at about 20 bucks now it's still a bargain.

Tibor reels. Great for strong fish, when and if you need them. Overkill if you don't, but in this case you get what you pay for. The Charleton Mako is another reel in the same category now if you're in the market for a new one.

Sage sp's and rplx's still work great for me, sps for trout, rplx's for sw. These are the older 3 piece ones so are a pain to fly with now.

This has been a trip down memory lane- thanks for that.

peregrines
Old 01-12-2009, 02:42 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Scientific Anglers System 5 reel, made by Hardy and also sold by them under their own brand as their Marquis model. Bought it in the early 1970s and it's still my reel of choice - 35 years and still going strong! Don't know what fly-fishing would be like without that "click-&-pawl" sound .

I'd also endorse Peregrines recommendation of his Sage SP, although I haven't had mine all that long (bought it "like new" on eBay after Sage discontinued them). However, mine is a 5-piece (plus the extra tip that Sage rods came with in those "good old days"), which makes it super-easy to travel with as its tube fits right into my carry-on luggage.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:38 PM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about

Folstaff wading staff. I've had it for almost 20 years, still going strong although it's pretty banged up. My second would be my Columbia fishing vest. It's badly smeared with floatant, seen a few dunkings and a lot of trecks through alders and shoulder high spruce. It's not pretty but holding up.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:48 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I've used the same LL Bean vest since 1976
Old 01-12-2009, 06:06 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

My RPLX 11 wt...Able 4N solid spool/back first model in camo...and a "relief pitcher" or back up reel a Teton Large Arbor 12...whilst its not the go to...it caught my largest fly rod Tarpon a while back...130-140 on my RPLX 11wt Two piece...'cause my beauty rods/reels were wrong, line, wrong leader, wrong fly...so the old stick and Teton did the job
Old 01-12-2009, 06:14 PM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

Orvis '99' 2/1, 7.5', 5 weight bamboo rod finished on May 12, 1960 (I haven't owned it the whole time...it's older than me). The thing casts wonderfully, and with that impregnated finish, is bulletproof. I have fished it extremely hard for years and can't tell a difference in the condition from the day I bought it. I'm sure it will outlast me.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Good Thread Fysh,

My first Hardy Featherweight reel, purchased in 1978 and never even greased, same springs and pawls, without exaggerating several thousand fish reeled in, got better with age.

I also have a Lewis Creek wading jacket, waxed cotton job that seems to be standing up to the test of time.

Too many things to mention.