The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 10:19 AM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about
Default Streamer Fishing Instructional

I am looking for recommendations on any instructional videos for fishing streamers. My research has turned up a couple of books on streamers (Galloup and Joseph Bates) but I am looking for a video. I know Kelly Galloup has one. Anyone seen it and have any thoughts on it? Are there other videos worth watching? Thanks!
Old 01-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Streamer Fishing Instructional

Txbevo-

I'm sure there are some good ones out there, and it'll be good to see which ones folks recommend.

In the meantime you could google "streamer fishing you tube" for some freebies.

One set up that works well is a sinktip and short leader - four to six feet long plus streamer. It doesn't even have to be a tapered leader, a straight shot of four feet of regular 10-12lb mono is fine most of the time in FW. Turning over the fly is not an issue as it would be with smaller stuff, and longer leaders with a sinking line will cause the fly to ride higher which defeats the purpose if you want to get the fly down. Cast out, across or slightly upstream, mend to let the fly settle a bit, and bring back with a twitch, pause twitch type deal. Experiment with different retrieves- sometimes letting the fly settle then ripping it in is the ticket. A sink tip works well in moving water because it allows you to mend the floating portion to control drag. It's also good for fishing small ponds or lakes from shore- cast out, and count mississippi's before you retrieve to let the fly get deep. You can fish different depths that way until you find the fish--- or bottom-- by using different counts.

A full length sinking line might be better if you fish deep lakes from a boat or float tube because it provides a direct connection to the fly (a sink tip will hinge a bit between the floating portion and the tip). On a lake you won't need to mend, and the full sink allows you to get a bit deeper. Again experiment with counting mississppi's or hippotomuseseses to get to different depths before the retrieve to find fish. And, a short leader is the ticket here too.

If you did a bit of both stream/shore and lake/boat/tube, I'd probably go with a sink tip instead of a full sink.

The advantage of these lines is that it eliminates the need for flies with lots of weight, although you can use them too. But if you use them with a floater, to get deep you'd probably want a fairly long leader to get deep, and weighted flies and long leaders can be an ornery combination. It's a pain to switch spools and rerig if you go back and forth between fishing dries with a floater and streamers with a sinker, but if you do a lot of streamer fishing it's a good way to go, or if you fish from a boat having another rod rigged up and ready to go-- perhaps in a heavier line weight for more versatility for fishing for other stuff and for lifting big fish off the bottom if you're targeting big bass is another way to go (and a good, semiplausible excuse for another outfit).

peregrines
Old 01-13-2009, 06:42 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbevo View Post
I am looking for recommendations on any instructional videos for fishing streamers. My research has turned up a couple of books on streamers (Galloup and Joseph Bates) but I am looking for a video. I know Kelly Galloup has one. Anyone seen it and have any thoughts on it? Are there other videos worth watching? Thanks!
Kelly's book and video are very good. I am and have been an avid streamer fisherman for the last 18yrs. I bought both the book and video last year and thought they were great. The video is an over view of streamer fishing, the book goes in to more detail. I would recommend getting both!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 01-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

You can get Kelly's fishing streamers DVD from NETFLIX. It is awesome. I fish full sink lines and felt like I might be doing something wrong although it worked for me, but found out Kelly does also...so I guess we have something in common......LOL
Old 01-13-2009, 08:07 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
You can get Kelly's fishing streamers DVD from NETFLIX. It is awesome. I fish full sink lines and felt like I might be doing something wrong although it worked for me, but found out Kelly does also...so I guess we have something in common......LOL
Joni

I never used sink lines till I read Kellys book and saw the video. Now I can't see going back!! LOL. I bought my copies on Amazon, but you can get them just about anywhere.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures