The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 05:02 PM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about
Default LL Bean Boots

Just got the new LL Bean fishing catalog and saw the new riverkeeper boots. I know LL Bean makes a good boot and was wondering if any one had any opinion on the Riverkeeper Wading Boots?
Old 01-14-2009, 05:06 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: LL Bean Boots

Excellant boot.....go felt bottom

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 01-14-2009, 05:12 PM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

I think that those boots only come with the rubber sole.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi flyfisher45,

I got the same catalog and Bean has some good looking boots. I have not used one but I bet they are a winner. If you are fishing for trout I would not get the felt soles.

Frank
Old 01-14-2009, 05:41 PM

I believe that I'm going to be fishing for trout primarily. If I went with these boots would you recomend getting the ones with the cleats on the soles?
Old 01-14-2009, 05:57 PM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

I tried with and without studs. I've settled on using studs. It feels more secure for the waters I fish, and way better on slippery banks.

Keep in mind there's a group trying to outlaw felt soles. Even Simms won't be making felt soles for 2010 anymore. If I was buying new boots right now. I'd think hard about buying felt.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:49 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I picked up a pair of LL Bean's Ultralite II Aquastealth boots with the studs & love them. I replaced a pair of Chota's with them & they are just as good, if not better. They don't get stiff like the Chota's did & they're a lot lighter with plenty of support. As far as traction I would go with the studs for that extra safety factor unless you plan on taking a float trip, guides don't like studded boots in their boats. More & more people are getting away from the felts because they're worried about carrying stuff from watershed to watershed. I would definitly go for aquastealth at least.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:00 PM

Was looking at my new catalog from LL Bean think i'll go with the River keeper boots.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:51 PM

MontanaMoose will become famous soon enoughMontanaMoose will become famous soon enough

Hello flyfisher45, I have an older model LL Bean wading boot with the non-studded Aquastealth sole and though I really like them and have used them a lot, at the first sign of rock snot, I put them away unless I feel like risking my life falling down or going for swims in ice water. My .02, but if I had it to do over again I'd have spent the extra for the studs.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
Old 01-16-2009, 03:08 AM

I think I will pay extra for the studs. I will have enough to worry about with casting. Don't need to add slipping to the list as well.