The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 07:02 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road
Default Davy Wotton's Wet Fly Ways

OK, some thread on this site got me interested, so I checked out the fly fishing club's library and they had a copy of this DVD. I'm only halfway through it, and I'm pumped!

I just tied up a leader with the droppers for a three fly "cast". Now I just need the generation schedule at our local tailwater to settle down, then I'll get out and try it.

He recommends a 10 or even 11 foot rod for this technique, but all my trout-weight rods (less than 7 weight) are 8 or 8.5 ft. This technique will get expensive if it means yet aother fly rod purchase! I'm interested to hear if Joni (Davy's her hero) or other folks have used this technique with shorter rods, and how important you think it is to have a longer rod.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 01-14-2009, 07:28 PM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Davy Wotton's Wet Fly Ways

Sounds like the old old way they used to fish wet flies. They used really long rods and up to 10 flies.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:11 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

I use a 9' 3 wt., a 9' 5 wt. and a 9 1/2' 6 wt. with three fly (wet/soft hackle) set ups. I may choose one over the other depending on stream size and/or potential fish size but I find myself going back to the 9' 5 wt as my favorite. (I do have one 8 1/2' 5 wt. with a slow action that I like to use on smaller streams.) Over time though I've gone more and more to a two fly setup. I experience less tangles, especially since my heavier rods are Sage fli's and throw a tighter loop; and 'no' I'm not adept enough at casting to lengthen my stroke and open those loops up!

In streams with a lot of rocks and debris, I can control my drift a little better with only 2 flies and once again hang up less. But, on big open waters, I'll still run a 3 fly cast on occasion.

A 10 or 11 foot rod would be fun to try, but a lot of the streams I fish wouldn't lend themselves to that kind of rod length. I'd guess that if you are using leaders/tippets that run the length of your rod, or a little more, a 10 foot rod would be the ticket for stringing out 3 flies and keeping them a decent distance apart.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

His techniques are wonderfully effective, also on panfish in moving water. I usually do a more casual version of it, using a 9' 4wt and two flies instead of 3. A 10 or 11' rod does work better, but a 9' and an outstretched arm works fairly well. To get a 10'+ 4 or 5wt rod that's comfortable to cast all day, you'll have to spend a few nickels. Last I knew Davy was mostly fishing a 10' 4wt Sage XP.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:38 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up fishing that way
We used soft action 9' cane rods with very long leaders

I use an 8' glass rod now
Not a problem
Old 01-16-2009, 05:23 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I started fishing a triple dropper setup. The big development was when we figured out how to make the droppers out of the blood knot tag ends. No more tangles like we had with the snelled wets looped to the surgeons loops in the leader.

I once won a bet with a bait fisherman ($5) who doubted that I could catch three fish on one cast. When you found a spot where the state had stocked fish and tossed a triple of # 14 hare's ear nymphs (look like fish pellets) it was not unusual to catch two or three fish at once.

I used a Fenwick 8' #6 glass rod and an old South Bend 9' 6/7 wt cane to fish em.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I started fishing a triple dropper setup. The big development was when we figured out how to make the droppers out of the blood knot tag ends. No more tangles like we had with the snelled wets looped to the surgeons loops in the leader.
I do the same thing, only with Double Surgeon's knots instead. Even simpler. Often when I need to add tippet, I'll just set it up so I have a 6" tag, and tie the dropper to that. After a while if I want to fish a single fly I just snip off that tag and tie something new out on the far end.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:28 AM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post

I once won a bet with a bait fisherman ($5) who doubted that I could catch three fish on one cast. When you found a spot where the state had stocked fish and tossed a triple of # 14 hare's ear nymphs (look like fish pellets) it was not unusual to catch two or three fish at once.

I used a Fenwick 8' #6 glass rod and an old South Bend 9' 6/7 wt cane to fish em.

Clear your PM's.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:29 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I fish the "V" connection a long time, but then I got Davy's DVD and saw he does it too.
HERE, I can ONLY FISH 2 flies at a time by law, so that is as far as I go.
I found it interesting when Davy tied the tag on, that he took the end going the same direction as the main. I did the opposite thinking it put the other fly out there better. I never tangled much, but I could see what he was saying in that it could cause MORE tangles doing it the way I was.

I do use shorter rods on this but my 10' makes it effortless. I think it has to do with the size of water AND the fact I can ONLY use two flies.

Then in a magazine I saw these:
Dropper Beads
SO, I had to buy some. I love the fact that they can spin which means LESS tangles (again something that has never been an issue) AND the fact you can slide it up and down. I use those FROGS HAIR indicator stoppers.

I have fished this way for years, so it just seems so natural to me.

NO I don't think it needs a long rod.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Then in a magazine I saw these:
Dropper Beads
SO, I had to buy some. I love the fact that they can spin which means LESS tangles (again something that has never been an issue) AND the fact you can slide it up and down. I use those FROGS HAIR indicator stoppers.

I have fished this way for years, so it just seems so natural to me.

NO I don't think it needs a long rod.
Joni,
Those look quite useful. How do you tie the tippet to the bead itself- with a stopper knot or through the hole and then tie it off to the standing end?

I could see how accessing them and getting them onto the line could be a bit tedious. Are they sold in a dispenser-type container? I would think one like are sold with some split shot would be helpful.