The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Fly Rod and Reel Balance (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/7337-fly-rod-reel-balance.html)

mikesalmon 01-14-2009 06:48 PM

Fly Rod and Reel Balance

Hello:

I have yet to commit to a new reel for my Sage SLT-790. I am currently using a reel that I find heavy for it and I find my arm gets a little tired with this setup.

My question is should a reel be of a certain weight for a rod to achieve balance?
Will balance improve casting? Is there a formula to figure this out?

Because I assume I could have something to heavy I also assume I could have something to lite to throw off casting rythym.

My SLT-790 weighs 3-3/4oz I use a Rio WF7F Steelhead/Salmon Fly Line.

Your suggestions on how heavy a reel should be for this are appreciated.

Thanks and Tight Lines, Mike

OldMan 01-14-2009 06:55 PM

Re: Fly Rod and Reel Balance

Everybody is a bit different on where they like a rod to balance.

For me, I like it to balance right at the end of my thumb with the rod strung and 3' of line hanging off it and held level.

dorian.ducker 01-14-2009 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldMan (Post 44969)

For me, I like it to balance right at the end of my thumb with the rod strung and 3' of line hanging off it and held level.

Wow!! You have put some thought into that!

It is a good question and I look forward to more great answers. Sorry I can't be of help here.

Fishstick 01-14-2009 07:47 PM

Quote:

Fully agree. Seems everybody is different to some extent. it's sure sweet when you find a rod/reel combo that perfect though....

onlymidges 01-14-2009 10:32 PM

Find you reel that weighs 4.5 to 4.8 ozs and that should help. And yes balance will improve casting. I like for my setup to balance in the middle of the cork.

But it might be different for you. Just go to a fly shop and ask them if you can try some different reels on your rod and you can check the different balancing points. This way you can find what you like best.

Jr

mikesalmon 01-15-2009 07:57 AM

Thanks for the input so far.

My problem is there is no Fly Shop in my area to test cast. The closest shop is 4 hours away and I do not think they have a spot to test.

I have no problem casting now, but would a more balanced system improve my distance.

I look forward to some more replys on this subject.

pdq 5oh 01-15-2009 08:05 AM

Quote:

That's something so logical..............I never thought of it. I merely put the reel with line on, and felt for balance. Stringing and putting out some line is how the rod's used. It sure makes perfect sense. Thanks OM.

imxer 01-15-2009 11:50 AM

Mike --- This article deals with your question & is an interesting read.

Match a Fly Rod and Fly Reel - A Question of Balance

FrankB2 01-15-2009 12:19 PM

Most of my rods are 8'6" 4 and 5 wt's, and I go for the lightest reel I can
find/afford. At the moment, that means Orvis BBS III's. My 9' 6wt's can feel
tip heavy with lighter reels (eventhough they are light rods), so I'm using
Orvis BBS IV and Ross Rhythm #3 reels. Using the index finger of my casting
hand, most of my rods are level to slightly tip heavy. Nothing that would cause the rod tip to touch while strung up, however.

I have cast rods without a reel, and really enjoy the light weight. I don't know
how well that would work on the water...........

mikesalmon 01-18-2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onlymidges (Post 44986)
Find you reel that weighs 4.5 to 4.8 ozs and that should help. And yes balance will improve casting. I like for my setup to balance in the middle of the cork.

But it might be different for you. Just go to a fly shop and ask them if you can try some different reels on your rod and you can check the different balancing points. This way you can find what you like best.

Jr

What do you think about Scientific Angler System 2L Reels.
The 67L weighs 4.3oz and will hold 125 yrds of Backing with WF7F Line.
or
The 78L weighs 4.7oz and will hold 120 yrds of backing with WF8F Line.

System 2L

They seem to be affordable. The large arbours in that weight range can get quite expensive.

Mike