The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2010, 10:32 PM

alkota is on a distinguished road
Default Cool fishing video

If you have never been to Alaska you gotta go!

Old 11-20-2010, 06:21 AM

fishtacos will become famous soon enoughfishtacos will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cool fishing video

I could watch fishing videos like that all day. A few comments: 1) besides the 'bows I have no idea what fish they were catching and 2) love the shot with the gun then the coffee. Pretty much all a man needs.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:52 AM

franzenangler will become famous soon enoughfranzenangler will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtacos View Post
I could watch fishing videos like that all day. A few comments: 1) besides the 'bows I have no idea what fish they were catching and 2) love the shot with the gun then the coffee. Pretty much all a man needs.
Cool video indeed. The other fish they were catching were grayling, you can tell from there signature dorsal fin.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:00 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

alkota: Thanks, that really brought back some great memories of fishing in AK. If you noticed at the beginning of the video the railroad had stopped to let those guys off at some remote location along the tracks, then later on when they want to get picked up they get back on the railroad right of way and wave the next train down.

Larry

Old 11-20-2010, 09:15 AM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

I am just curious. Why does one of the guys in the video carry a gun?
Is that to scare bear?
Old 11-22-2010, 07:49 AM

RayMO is on a distinguished road

Oh my! Talk about living a dream. I would love to do that some day. What a great little video.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:15 PM

bloodmeridian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
alkota: Thanks, that really brought back some great memories of fishing in AK. If you noticed at the beginning of the video the railroad had stopped to let those guys off at some remote location along the tracks, then later on when they want to get picked up they get back on the railroad right of way and wave the next train down.

Larry
Hey Larry,

I'm new to the forum and have been spending some time reading posts. I saw this video and read your reply and it got me thinking...Is this fairly common still--people getting random train rides through the countryside and getting dropped off to fish like this?? Have you done this yourself??

Thanks!

Street
Old 11-30-2010, 12:09 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Far as I know this is the only place where you can wave a train, yes we do this

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-30-2010, 09:41 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastroutbum View Post
I am just curious. Why does one of the guys in the video carry a gun?
Is that to scare bear?
I don't want to start another discussion on the effectiveness of handguns on killing bears (or the likely hood of seeing a bear), but most folks that travel in the Alaska bush carry some sort of weapon (remember you are not the top of the food chain up there). Personally, I liked to carry one of those defender style shotguns alternately loaded with double 00 buckshot and lead slugs.

Larry

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmeridian View Post
Hey Larry,

I'm new to the forum and have been spending some time reading posts. I saw this video and read your reply and it got me thinking...Is this fairly common still--people getting random train rides through the countryside and getting dropped off to fish like this?? Have you done this yourself??

Thanks!

Street
Street: First off welcome to the forum! If you are thinking that you might be interested in traveling on the Alaska railroad I'd give them a call on their 800 number (800-208-0200) and ask them about any restrictions they might have (I haven't used that service so I couldn't tell you).

Larry