The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 10:59 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default studs and wax

Hey guys and galls got a two part ? for ya'all.
I have fly fished for well ove 20 years and never used wax on my rods and have never seen much of a problem, but I buy new rods all the time and never use the same on alot in a years time. I bought a sage last year and the shop I bought it from gave me a small chunk of wax and said always put wax on the ferruls, is one way better then the other?
My other ? is me my wife and son all own boots with felt soles and I have been thinking about buying the screw in studs would it be worth the money spent? We fish (with waders) mainly rocky streams for smallmouth, sunfish, and trout, these streams have some muddy areas but mainly rocks. My footing seemd a little more secure then my wifes and sons, but I have alot more years wadeing then they do.
Thanks for any info
Bear
Old 01-15-2009, 11:17 AM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: studs and wax

I recommend the studs. I put the screw in studs last year and they work perfect so far.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:31 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I always wax my ferrules....now
It keeps them from slipping
No casting off the tip
No cracks in the female section from them being loose

Don't ask why I know.........
Old 01-15-2009, 01:36 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I always wax my ferrules....now
It keeps them from slipping
No casting off the tip
No cracks in the female section from them being loose

Don't ask why I know.........
LOL OK I won't ask, but thanks for the info. I have had a couple slip, as for the cracks I have never noticed any, but maybe I better check my rods closer
Old 01-15-2009, 07:02 PM

Benford is on a distinguished road

I suppose it's probably wise to wax the ferrules...but be careful with the wax you use...you don't want them slipping out of place...

For the boots...if you walk along a lot of solid rock and such, beware of the studded boots. They can sometimes slip on the rock and cause injury. If you walk on softer ground like the muddy terrain or sandy areas, then studs could be of some help, but sounds like you might wanna stick with plain felt bottoms.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Bear,

Never waxed a ferrule but won't enter the stud debate, I use both. I do rub my SS ferrule on the side of my nose before assembling any of my cane rods but never even heard of waxing a graphite rod. I fish a 1979 Far and Fine every year (probably the hardest used rod I know of) at least thirty times even here, more back in my other life (lower 48).

Skip it, and use both.................. or not
Old 01-15-2009, 07:12 PM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benford View Post
I suppose it's probably wise to wax the ferrules...but be careful with the wax you use...you don't want them slipping out of place...

For the boots...if you walk along a lot of solid rock and such, beware of the studded boots. They can sometimes slip on the rock and cause injury. If you walk on softer ground like the muddy terrain or sandy areas, then studs could be of some help, but sounds like you might wanna stick with plain felt bottoms.
That would depend on the pattern you use to put in the studs. I did it so I still have plenty of felt left on the rocks, but the studs will be there when I need them. I don't really like the way the factory does it. You're walking on just studs.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:56 PM

Lots of good info to work with, thanks guys
Old 01-15-2009, 09:32 PM
RDRogers is on a distinguished road

if you wax your ferrules you only need to do it about once a year. Apply a small amount, not too much. Rubbing the end against your nose to get a little oil from your face does the same thing. If you go that route do it every time. both will keep pieces from sticking together or flying apart while casting.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:16 PM

Tree Catcher has a spectacular aura aboutTree Catcher has a spectacular aura about

I have never heard of waxing ferrules before but I do have a loose one on my old brown glass scott rod. What type of wax?

Sean