The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 04:04 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Is it time to get proactive ???

Yeah, read this online in mainline media the other day. I figure if they've got to go to this type of extreme, then they have some serious image/publicity problems. I noted with satisfaction that the online comments were about 1 zillion to one against what they were doing.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Axel,

If it stays this warm tomorrow I'll be trout / steelhead fishing. Gotta get out while I can. Fingers are almost back up to snuff but still some numbness at the tips. I read that if I was traveling 40mph at -37* the wind factor gave me a -100* situation where I was vulnerable. I had no choice, it was either head home or stay put and see how much fire wood I could burn.

Pretty weird because this same thing happened last January too. Not the frostbite but the wild temp swings. I stayed at camp for almost nine weeks last winter and after enduring nine strait days of -40 low and -18 highs it went to 43 degrees and rained cats and dogs. There was so much overflow on the lake and river I had to stay put for a week until things froze up again. That's why I'm here at home waiting this one out.

Like I said, if it stays warm I'll make the best of it and go fishing. If I find any I'll post pictures. I usually don't carry a camera in foul weather which means my fish pictures are few and far between but I'll take one now because I'm active on this site.

Ard
Old 01-15-2009, 05:34 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Axel,

If it stays this warm tomorrow I'll be trout / steelhead fishing. Gotta get out while I can. Fingers are almost back up to snuff but still some numbness at the tips. I read that if I was traveling 40mph at -37* the wind factor gave me a -100* situation where I was vulnerable. I had no choice, it was either head home or stay put and see how much fire wood I could burn.

Pretty weird because this same thing happened last January too. Not the frostbite but the wild temp swings. I stayed at camp for almost nine weeks last winter and after enduring nine strait days of -40 low and -18 highs it went to 43 degrees and rained cats and dogs. There was so much overflow on the lake and river I had to stay put for a week until things froze up again. That's why I'm here at home waiting this one out.

Like I said, if it stays warm I'll make the best of it and go fishing. If I find any I'll post pictures. I usually don't carry a camera in foul weather which means my fish pictures are few and far between but I'll take one now because I'm active on this site.

Ard
aquapac makes a waterproof pouch that lets you use your camera while still in it fro around 50, check out, www.thewaterproofstore.com
Old 01-15-2009, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Thank you Az, I guess what I really meant is that I don't like the hassle. I like to drag em in pop out the hook and let em swim. When I do a photo op it seems to turn into a longer period of time before I cut em loose.

Photos are cool, I just sometimes get cynical and say to myself "are you going fishing or photographing"? I'm OK at either but like to make a clear distinction between the two. I do have a little Kodak 4600 that tucks inside my jacket without too much bulk and I intend to carry it more often. The camera I prefer is a SLR and that's out of the question.

Let's hope fore a mild day in AK. and away I'll go....................... remember when Jackie Gleason used to say that?
Old 01-15-2009, 07:40 PM

KRD will become famous soon enough

why a kitten I ask. A person on another forum posted

"A kitten sure is a poor choice.

I mean they eat fish too. They even like to play with them before they kill them."
Old 01-15-2009, 08:36 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

four words

they will never learn

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 01-16-2009, 07:32 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Axel,

Ard
That's right, keep rubbing it in....kidding. Glad you will have the chance. It was 6F this morning with a -3F wind chill. Nothing like you're seeing, but that's cold for around here....

I usually take a camera, but almost always forget to take pics.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:14 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

hey everyone i just recently heard from somebody who said that whitefish a town near kallispell MT is trying to change their mascot to a sea kitten, dont know if its true, i'll try and find an article on it.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 01-18-2009, 10:26 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfishinbear View Post
Those S(*S&B*&^%%S have been playing those games for years, whats hurting fishing and hunting more is people not takeing the time to teach their kids to fish and hunt, I have noticed on fishing programs some are starting to incourage people to take teir kids and even friends kids and nieces and nephews fishing, and there are starting to be city programes where the local clubs and conservation departments are holding kids fishing days and even teachers are adding "outdoors" field trips and talking about it in class. To me those are the best ways to teach kids and other folks about the outdoors and fishing and hunting and the truth of such. So many people today worry about makeing money, wich is good, but they need to learn to get back to mother nature and her wonders. There is even a passage in the bible about how God put fish and animales on this planet to provide for man( not trying to get a religan debate going here). I take any kid fishing that wants to go. my sons friends thats never been, other kids in my familoy that their parents either are not into fishing or just dont have the time, I even offer a discount on my guide trips for people that bring a kid. NOT advertising here. lol.
Another thing we can do is this. I was fishing for trout one day and useing a spinning rod and spinners, a mother brought her kid to fish and they set pretty close to me. after 5 minutes I could see the mother had no clue and the kid only being 7 or so didnt either. I walked over and introduced my self to the mother and said I would show her son how to fish a little if she didnt mind. She said that was great, so I started in on knot tying, casting, diffrent lures and technecs and diffrent fish in the river and after just a few moments she was setting right beside us listing. I seen them a couple weeks later, they BOTH had rods and a better tackle selection and they both caught fish. No I am not bragging here, I am just saying that we as fisherman need to slow down a little some times and not worry about catching fish our sleves and teach others, who knows maybe that mother will take her son fishing more and they will take her sons friends that have never fished.
And while your teaching them to fish, teach them about nature also, the birds they hear and see, the fish in the water we dont fish for, the plants and trees they see and how everything ties into one another.Teach them just to enjoy the day and their surrindings as well as catching the fish.
Anyway I have rambled on long enough
Bear
I heartily agree that we should all pass on the sport on to kids. Years ago T.U started up trying to get local kids chapters started all over the country. The Federation of Flyfisherman has a excellent kids & beginners program. T.U.'s latest & IMHO the best program is "Trout In The Classroom"
Home - Trout in the Classroom
It's an educational program at the grassroots level. These programs will keep the sport alive by teaching the real world to kids & maybe keep them informed enough to laugh off the insanity these PETA people are spewing.
If any of you are teachers or know teachers I urge you to look into this program.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:06 PM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

Kids should be introduced to the outdoors. Not put in front of video games and tv. Thats part of the problem with kids being sick, They are not outside building up their immune system. I take my kids fishing and hiking and camping. They love being outdoors and they are only 4.