The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 07:15 PM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Question If there was only one type ???

Good Evening,

I was just looking over the Forum & an interesting question came to mind as I read different threads.

If the Good Lord had only given us one species of fish & all were the same size throughout our beautiful world would you still pick up a flyrod & head for the river ?

In my many years of toating a fly rod from river to river I've felt little 2" shinners grab my little #18 midge on a tandem rig, as well as 15-20# salmon grab a big streamer. What a vast spectrum ! :-)

I'm thankful everytime I step into the water because you never know what may lie ahead in that deep run, or next to a log jamb.

Would you still grab your flyrod & go. Is it in your blood as it is in mine. There's really nothing like flyfishing. As some would say : It Rocks man !

Tie One On
Old 01-15-2009, 07:32 PM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: If there was only one type ???

Yes. It's not so much the fish as much as the process of catching them.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:52 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I agree with the oldman, I would still fly fish everychance I get. The sounds and sites, the trying to outwit the fish, the cast its self. I love this sport
Old 01-15-2009, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Tough question, not everyone likes dark chocolate. Speaking practically not just aesthetically I would choose Pacific Silver Salmon in the twenty pound range. Great excitement and excellent table fare.

Brook Trout would be my second
Old 01-16-2009, 11:17 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

There's a short story by G.E.M. Skues about a gentleman who goes into afterlife fishing the perfect stream
On every cast to every rise, he catches a fish.... and then another fish of the same size takes it's place in the same spot. ....His gillie won't let him move and the sun never sets....
It's then the gentleman realizes that he didn't end up where he thought he was
Old 01-16-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
There's a short story by G.E.M. Skues about a gentleman who goes into afterlife fishing the perfect stream
On every cast to every rise, he catches a fish.... and then another fish of the same size takes it's place in the same spot. ....His gillie won't let him move and the sun never sets....
Some will never stop to smell the roses.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:51 PM

jcl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I love that story.

One of my favorite places to fish growing up was a little nameless pond that somehow had about a dozen or so species of fish, most of which I managed to catch on a fly at some time or another. It was always exciting to set the hook and not know if you'd feel a tiny sunfish, a big largemouth, or something else. Never got the cats or carp to hit a fly, but the possibility was always there.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:59 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

I'd have to vote on the side of "Yes". There's so much more to "fishing", in my opinion, than fishing or catching. To be able to get out to the open air, water, trees, animals, sounds and sights, is far more important to me than catching a fish, big or little.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
I'd have to vote on the side of "Yes". There's so much more to "fishing", in my opinion, than fishing or catching. To be able to get out to the open air, water, trees, animals, sounds and sights, is far more important to me than catching a fish, big or little.
Let's go fishing together.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:23 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

One species only? Then mine would be the Brookie.