The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 09:12 AM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about
Default Wading Pants

Anyone here use wading pants? There are several places I fish that don't require full chest waders. Seems to me that wading pants might be a good alternative for small ponds and creeks and would also be easier and quicker to get into and out of. Also seems that pants might be good to use on a pontoon or kickboat. I was thinking about getting a pair to supplement my chest waders. Just wondering if anyone has any reviews/thoughts and/or recommendations.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:20 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Wading Pants

I have a well-used pair of old Simms Guide Pants that have just about bit the dust.
They are the bomb for small stream fishing but I like them best because they keep this oaf from wading in waters that could easily float my hat!
They're cool too... not as in 'chicks dig 'em' but cool in the hot weather we get down here in the Smokies.

The good news is I hear Simms finally saw the light and decided to reintroduce them.
The roll-down waders are a compromise I don't quite care for after trying them with Cloudveil 8X waders.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:45 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I wear Dickies brand uniform pants
They're quick drying and won't hold a stain
Fairly cheap too

In my float tube I always wear waders...no matter what the air temperature is.
When the sun goes down....you get cold real fast when wet
Old 01-16-2009, 11:12 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I love them I had a pair until I tried to cross a brabwire fence(yaeh dumb I know) am getting a new pair this year. They offer more protcion then hip boots, are cooler then chest waders, and its easier to get to your pockets for your wallet when you stop to get that cup of coffee on a cold morning. I do roll my chest waders down at times and use the shoulder straps like a belt, but still not as good as the pants. Another great thing about the pants is less shoulder straps, when I wear a chest pack or even my lanyard all those straps work on my neck and shoulders and can get stuff tangled at times. Also they make those trips into the timber to do certian things easier.
Bear
Old 01-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbevo View Post
Anyone here use wading pants? There are several places I fish that don't require full chest waders. Seems to me that wading pants might be a good alternative for small ponds and creeks and would also be easier and quicker to get into and out of. Also seems that pants might be good to use on a pontoon or kickboat. I was thinking about getting a pair to supplement my chest waders. Just wondering if anyone has any reviews/thoughts and/or recommendations.
You want quick on and off and don't need chest high waders? Get some boot-foot hippers with felt soles. If the weather's warm enough for them to get hot, wade wet.

As far as float tube use goes, I'm thinking either chest waders or wading wet (shorts or pants paired with neoprene socks and boots (And if you do fall all the way in out in the middle of a lake, you'll swim faster if you're not wearing a drift sock!)) is the way to go. Having slow influx of water via plumber-butt/droopy wading pants over the course of a day sounds like a drag to me.

Seriously, in the Hill Country streams, boots with guard socks will be plenty warm starting in about March.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

I have a pair of Simms Guide Pants and in most cases they are more useful than chest waders. The chest waders that fold down to make pants are a compromise. When you fold down the top part of chest waders you reduce the breathabilty of the upper pants. You end up increasing the amount of material that has to breath. I didn't find them nears as comfortable as the Guide Pants.

I wear my Guide Pants when wading and in my pontoon boat. Before I got the Guide Pants I used hip boats in the pontoon. It seemed on just about every float I managed to get some water in the hip boats one way or another. I needed the pants to help keep me out of deep water and trouble when wading.

Now Simms has came back with the Guide Pants design in a new model called the Headwaters Pants. I have not seen them but would expect them to be good. I am a little disappointed they didn't keep the Guide Pants name. Several of the guide I have known really liked the Guide Pants for rowing and tending to clients.

Frank

Simms Headwaters Pants.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:34 PM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about

I agree about the wet wading and will wet wade whenever possible. That is actually my preferred method. I am only thinking of those time like now when it is too cold to wet wade. Thanks for your input. That is the reason I posted the question. I want to hear others thoughts and experiences before I decide to shell out more money.