The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 10:28 AM

JimG will become famous soon enough
Default Didymo in New England & NY???

Is there a list of rivers in New England where this has been found? Catskills?

I guess since I'm in the market this spring for some new wading shoes, I suppose I should ditch the felt and go with some rubber soles with studs.

Jim
Old 01-16-2009, 10:36 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Didymo in New England & NY???

Vermont Didymo page
Quote:
Until 2006 it was unheard of in the northeastern U.S. It was discovered during the summers of 2006 and 2007 in the Batten Kill (NY/VT), in 2007 in the Connecticut River (NH/VT), the White River (VT), and the Delaware River system (NY/PA), and in 2008 in the Gunpowder River (MD) and the Mad River (VT).
Old 01-16-2009, 01:08 PM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

It's in all of the tailwaters here in VA. I was under the impression that it can only thrive in a tailwater but could be wrong about that.I know the branches of the Delaware are tailwaters....are the rest of the streams you listed also?
Old 01-16-2009, 01:35 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshort View Post
It's in all of the tailwaters here in VA. I was under the impression that it can only thrive in a tailwater but could be wrong about that.I know the branches of the Delaware are tailwaters....are the rest of the streams you listed also?
No...none that I know of, but I'm not sure about the west branch of the Delaware
In fact Vermont's White River is the only major river in the northeast with zero dams at all
Old 01-19-2009, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

OK I give up, what's Didymo? Sounds like a Rapper..................

Now you see just how out of touch people in Wasilla Alaska are! The geography test isn't next I hope.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Ard,

Didymo (aka "rock snot" ) is an invasive species, spreading like wildfire here in the NE:

Didymo

It really screws up streams-- restrictions are in place on many streams advising/requiring using bleach to disinfect waders etc, and felt soles are especially good at transporting them from stream to stream--- leading to a move to ban them. Simms and others have pledged to phase out felt by 2010. On some streams around here wading is prevented all together...

Rip-
The W Br of the Delaware is a "tailwater", at least to some degree. A lot of the water comes from the Cannonsville Reservoir, part of NYC's drinking water supply, as well as being fed by some tribs.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Thanks Peregrines,

What color is it, and I've gotta ask you, are you a Falconer?