The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2009, 09:09 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fishy Behavior

I'm not sure how many of you have noticed this; or if anyone else has noticed this, but I thought I'd post it to see if I'm the only one observing it or not.

Sometimes when I hook a trout (doesn't seem to matter what variety of trout it is) in a pool where there are a large number of other trout, I find that the hooked fish is "shadowed" by up to half a dozen or more other fish, as it runs, tires, runs again, etc. while hooked. The behavior of the shadowing group is almost exactly like the behavior of the hooked fish; in terms of speed in the water, directional changes, etc. I wonder, what is going on here (?) Are the other fish simply curious / spooked or is there some form of communication / support going on here (?)

Any ideas?
Old 01-17-2009, 09:28 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fishy Behavior

Hi Pocono
I've noticed this behavior too, but mostly with hatchery fish & guessed they're used to following the leader. They might be just reacting to erratic movement.Then again I've caught female shad & have had 2-3 males follow them in. Possibly it's the same with trout also.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Pocono

I'm going with the pack mentality of hatchery reared fish. I've seen wild fish do it but they too are pack fish like silver salmon.

I've also seen fish chase another fish after it grabs some form of prey just like chickens do when one grabs a big juicy bug while free range feeding. I gotta add that I've seen wild turkey exhibit the same behavior also. Once I watched as a fair sized gobbler snatched up a small snake (what kind I don't know) and he had to run like a purse snatcher to protect his find. Yes, the turkey ate the snake!
Old 01-17-2009, 10:10 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I have seen this with smallmouth bass, as well as largemouth and spotted bass, bluegill and even crappie as well as trout, my thought is they are hopeing to get a piece of that cake. I cuaght a bass a few years back with a minnow style crankbait, about three foot from the boat another bass ran up and grabbed the back of the bait and got hooked also. I dont know if diffrent species do it for diffrent reasons or what.
Bear
Old 01-18-2009, 01:56 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

If you are fishing a pool or other water that holds a lot of fish then there is competition for food. I think the other fish are assuming a fish going crazy in their pool must be chasing food. The other fish then join in hoping for a share. This would be particularly true if there are bait fish in the water. Thats my guess.

Frank
Old 01-18-2009, 10:23 AM

Fishstick is on a distinguished road

I'd agree with Frank on this.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:49 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I see it all the time with striped bass
They're competing for a easy meal

Just like seagulls on the beach