The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2009, 08:01 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Fly Rod

Awhile back, I mentioned on this forum that was in line to get a vintage bamboo rod.

This weekend, I was away for a wedding in Philly. My wife's grandfather was a fisherman and had a Titanic full of fishing equipment. The rod I though I was going to get went to my wife's aunt. So, no big deal. I know it found a good home.

I did come home with some heavy duty surf rods and one (1) fly rod.

The fly rod is a Garcia conolon 300 Graphite that is 8' long and appears to be a 6/7wt. It has a Pflueger Medalist 1494 1/2 DA that is made in the USA. The reel has a plastic, knurled knot that is on the opposite side of the spool handle that faces the front of the reel.

The markings on the rod are as follows:

BF 8087 8'-240mm
915228 TH.AFTMA 6-7
Made in Korea

Can any one shed some light on this rod/reel?
Old 01-18-2009, 08:12 PM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fly Rod

The reel is a nice Medalist. The little knob is to adjust the drag. It's probably made in Akron. The DA means it's easy to convert from right to left hand wind. Nice reel.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:24 PM

rowdy will become famous soon enough

That rod was from the late 70's I bet.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Axle-

Yup, what Old Man and Rowdy said. The Conolon was a pretty sweet rod back in the day and a real workhorse (came out just a bit later than the Mitchell 300 spinning reel), they were the top of the line Garcia rods in both spinning and fly models--- mass market, sold in sporting goods stores, not a high end fly rod, priced a bit lower than the Fenwick rods that came out around the same time. Much slower action than today's graphite rods. I think the Conolon's were a graphite/fiberglass composite.

The medalist was another workhorse, with a simple click/pawl drag. As Rowdy said the knurled white knob adjusts the drag, and there should be a lever you push in near the middle of the spool to release the it to change spools or clean the reel. Bet it still works. Tons of fish were (and still are) caught with them. I still use some that I have.

Because so many of them were sold, they're not particularly valuable, in terms of bucks--- you could check ebay for comparables to get an idea of prices. If the Medalist was made in the USA (and it probably was if it was bought with the rod) it would be more valuable than the ones now made in China. The two of them together would be a nice combo for throwing stuff like poppers in small ponds for bass. Other stuff like Wheatley fly boxes and things of that sort were also pretty common then and might have some value as well as being a neat keepsake.

Just out of curiosity, what surf stuff did you get? Some of those old ones were pretty good sticks--- heavy by today's standards, but those old honey colored Lamiglass and some of the e-glass rods (usually a deep burgundy) were sweet and you still see some from time to time workin' it in the surf throwing plugs or 8nbait. (8 ounce sinker plus bait). Some plugs may also be valuable

Sounds like you got some nice stuff, and a neat personal connection with gear from someone that obviously was pretty serious about his fishing. Here's to him. (insert sound of clink of frosty mugs here.)

peregrines
Old 01-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

peregrines, you must have hit send twice so I edited the second okay?
Old 01-18-2009, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

D'oh! Thanks Joni!
Old 01-19-2009, 07:51 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I'll take some pics and post them a bit later. Gotta make breakfast for the wife and kids.....

Thanx for the info. I was nosing around last night and I think the Medalist was made between '68 and '72. At least it is convertible.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Axle,

Wait till you check out the drag on the reel, unlike most of the low cost American fly reels that drag works. I have used one of them for pike fishing for a long time. It is a good piece of tackle.

A
Old 01-19-2009, 03:11 PM

OK, so of the three (3) rods that were surf rods (I think they're surf rods, anyway), two of them seem to be built by him, but the third is a Fenwich model RT635. I'm not sure why I got these, I live in VA, FAR NORTHERN VIRGINIA, and these things would be overkill on anything except some genetic mutant blue catfish....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM0525.jpg (75.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0526.jpg (81.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0527.jpg (83.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 01-19-2009, 03:12 PM

Here's the handle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM0528.jpg (86.4 KB, 14 views)