The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2009, 12:07 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default old fly line.

These lines were also in the box I found the hooks in. There has to be a market for these somewhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old Fly Line 2.jpg (62.9 KB, 85 views)
Old 01-19-2009, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: old fly line.

Fishn50

Wow. Neat stuff. That looks like level flyine with the old timey numbering system. Level lines just had one letter. Here's how you can translate them into today's numbering system:

wt DT, WF, Level

2 = IHI, IHJ, or H
3 = IGI, IGJ or G
4 = HFH, HFG, or F
5 = HEH, HEG, or E
6 = HDH, HDG, or D
7 = HCH, HCG, or C
8 = GBH, GBF, or B
9 = GAG, GAF, or A
10 = G2AG, G2AF, 2A
11 = G3AG, G3AF, 3A
12 = G4AG, G4AF, 4A

A tapered line would have 3 letters, with the front taper, belly, and rear taper. The belly corresponding to the "weight" of the fly line to match with rod. Since a double taper is identical on both ends, the first and third letters would be the same. For example an HEH would be a DT 5 weight. A weight forward line has a thinner rear section, so a weight forward 5 would have a designation like HEG.

If there are rods around they probably have markings like that on the blank, which will tell you what line weight to use if you wanted to match it up with a modern one.

peregrines
Old 01-19-2009, 08:08 AM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

Nice find. A long tapered leader will make those lines work fine.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:28 PM

rowdy will become famous soon enough

My 1st flyrod used HDH! I bet a museum would want those.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:16 PM

yellowhammer is on a distinguished road

Hello Rowdy, new to this forum just read your post about the old lines,are you interested in selling them or possibly trade? I make bamboo rods and the hex cases for them, though maybe you would be interested it a trade , Maybe a hex rod case for your favorite rod? I am also looking fdor small reels , skeleton type that was made around the early fifthies or the 1494 medaleist reels mainly the small type. thanks for listing regards Yellow Hammer, MY email is cecolefly@hotmail.com
Old 05-29-2009, 01:31 PM

yellowhammer is on a distinguished road

Hello Fishing 50, just read your post about the old lines, i would be interested it those if still avable. I make bamboo fly rods and the hex cases that go with them. Thought maybe we could work up a trade lines for a hex case for your favorite rod , not trying to advertise what imake just interested in maybe making a swap. I am also looking for the old skeleton type fly reels that were made many years ago, i need one for my grandaughters bamboo rod that i made for her, also i am looking for small diameter 1494 medaliest reels too. I sent this post to rodwy before i realised i had the wrong name. I i have insulted anyone accept my apology. This is in no way a scam. thanks yellowhammer my email is cecolefly@hotmail.com