The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2010, 08:51 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough
Default davies knot and steelhead

I started using the Davy knot this summer for trout. It is very easy to tie, uses little tippet and seemed to have good knot strength. I used it the last time I went steelheading and did not experience and breakage. Ayone else use this knot for steelhead or salmon.

Last edited by Tracker12; 11-22-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:11 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: davies knot and steelhead

Never heard of it personally. Do you have any instructions on how to tie? I tried to Google it but came up with nothing but embroidery......
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 11-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

don't know it either...posting instructions would be a good idea
Old 11-22-2010, 03:06 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a short video on how to tie the Davy Knot:

Old 11-22-2010, 04:29 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: davies knot and steelhead

A 'figure 8?' Before I went there I'd want to know what the 'knot strength' of this Puppie was ....
Old 11-22-2010, 05:00 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
A 'figure 8?' Before I went there I'd want to know what the 'knot strength' of this Puppie was ....
At the end of the video he said it's "100% strength knot."
Old 11-22-2010, 06:23 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant View Post
At the end of the video he said it's "100% strength knot."
No 'disrespect intended,' but I find (knowing the knot - the figure 8) very, very hard to believe.

fae
Old 11-22-2010, 06:31 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

I have never tested the strength on a gauge but it has proven to be very strong and I have not had any breakoffs I can contribute to the knot.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:34 PM

But Fred, it's on the internet so it has to be true.

Don't worry, I agree. Seems to simple of a knot to be that tough. I Googled it and found that other people are saying that they "heard" it was 100% too.....
Old 11-22-2010, 07:06 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

There's a lot of worthwhile information about the Davy Knot (invented by Davy Wooten) in other threads on this Forum. A simple search will find these, but I'd start with Frank W's sticky posting under Fishing Techniques FAQs. There is some anecdotal evidence indicating that the knot works better on heavier tippet much as you'd find in use with Steelhead.

A word of caution in tying it. While it is indeed simple, if you don't perform the "cross-over" correctly, the knot will easily undo itself when you least want it to.