The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2009, 06:04 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly Rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorian.ducker View Post
OMG!! Can't we just answer this guys question!
No.... there's no answer to this
I started with a $3 cane rod and graduated to a $7 glass rod...
The equipment you use means nothing.....

How you use it is everything....
Old 01-20-2009, 10:40 PM

jdorsey61 has a spectacular aura aboutjdorsey61 has a spectacular aura about

I agree with Rip Tide.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:53 AM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
No.... there's no answer to this
I started with a $3 cane rod and graduated to a $7 glass rod...
The equipment you use means nothing.....

How you use it is everything....
Of course there is an answer to this. He is just asking for an opinion from people that know more than him to help him make an educated decision. Answering with "spend more time on the water" or "it's how you use the equipment" isn't helping him make an educated purchase. I get what every body else is saying and I happen to agree, spending more time on the water, or taking casting classes will make you a better fisherman/caster no matter what rod you purchase. But that doesn't help this poor guy decide what rod to get. That is all I'm saying.

Sorry if this post is seeming retaliatory or negative, that is not my intent and you can see from past precedent that that is not my style. I just thought this poor guy deserved an answer to his question.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:17 AM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

Thank you everyone. I'll be going to a local flyfishing shop next week to talk to them and sign up for flytying classes. I'll ask them their advice on rods and reels. I will also ask about casting lessons and I have tried to make contact with the local tu chapter and haven't heard back from them yet. Can't wait for spring when I can get out and practice.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:33 AM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road

Another rod worth mentioning is the Orvis Clearwater. Under $200 in a 4pc., less for 2pc. and comes with 25 yr. warrenty. It comes in 2 configurations with either a faster tip flex or a more moderate mid flex. Also comes with a very nice rod tube.
If you have a Orvis store near you I think it would be worth taking a look.
I also agree that a 9' 5wt. is the best place to start for all around trout fishing. If you get into fly fishing you will eventually end up with more rods in different lengths and wts. but the 9' 5 wt. is probably the most versitile.
As a second year fly fisher, I can't agree more that time on the water will help you through what can be a very frusterating learning curve much more than high dollar, high tech gear. Save that for when you are on the other side of mastering your basic skills and can appreciate and enjoy that high dollar rod.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:12 AM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

Thank you, I was thinking either Orvis or St Croix. The 9' 5wt 4 piece is the way that I think I'll be going. That seems to be what more people are saying to go with.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher45 View Post
Thank you everyone. I'll be going to a local flyfishing shop next week to talk to them and sign up for flytying classes. I'll ask them their advice on rods and reels. I will also ask about casting lessons and I have tried to make contact with the local tu chapter and haven't heard back from them yet. Can't wait for spring when I can get out and practice.
Hi Flyfisher45,

If you can do it, don't buy your rod until you have had a casting lesson or two. You will be better able to judge what rod works best for you. Usually anyone who gives lessons will have more than one rod that you can try. You also have to be careful with some dealers. If he tries to sell you the best rod and reel that he has in the store, you need to look for a new dealer. Most dealers are very good and they recognize that helping you will pay them back with a good customer. That is why a lot of dealers will give free casting lessons.

Frank
Old 01-21-2009, 12:46 PM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

These are nice casting rods. The equal of some $500-$600 rods. The price is friendly too. They normally sell for $225.

Albright Tackle | Fly Rods | Fly Reels | Spin and Casting Rods | Reels | Rods
Old 01-21-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Flyfisher45,

If you can do it, don't buy your rod until you have had a casting lesson or two. You will be better able to judge what rod works best for you. Usually anyone who gives lessons will have more than one rod that you can try. You also have to be careful with some dealers. If he tries to sell you the best rod and reel that he has in the store, you need to look for a new dealer. Most dealers are very good and they recognize that helping you will pay them back with a good customer. That is why a lot of dealers will give free casting lessons.

Frank
signing up for a casting class that is being run in April. I will see if I can try a couple of rods before I buy.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
These are nice casting rods. The equal of some $500-$600 rods. The price is friendly too. They normally sell for $225.

Albright Tackle | Fly Rods | Fly Reels | Spin and Casting Rods | Reels | Rods
I will definately try out these rods as well. Getting very good advice from everyone on this site.