The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2009, 01:27 PM

boone is on a distinguished road
Default Western fly fishing trip *update*

As some of you may rememberi posted up a little while ago asking for advice about western fly fishing because this summer i will be going on a trip out west.

At first we were gonna try and go to most of the famous rivers out west and try and cover as much ground as possible. After the help of people on the this forum and after doing a lot of reasearch it seems that to do that would be nearly impossible. We have decided to do most of our fishing in yellow stone and Colorado. We are going to start in Co in mid to late june and then go to the wyoming portion of yellow stone and then to the montana portion of yellow stone in mid july. We will probably hit a few streams and rivers along the way but that will be random. What do yall think about going from south to north? Does that sound like the best plan?

I also found a ton of informaiton while listening to the internet fly fishing broadcasts that several people recomended. Thanks a ton for those.

Since i've narrowed down my region and time does that change anyones advice or offer up new advice?

I appreciate the heck out of everyones help, thanks so much!!
Old 01-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Western fly fishing trip *update*

Boone

Sounds like a good plan. Its hard to comment without knowing which rivers you are planning on fishing in CO. In a normal snow year I think you will probably be OK. Last year with the record snow fall that the Rockies received a lot of the streams didn't finish run off until mid-July, but that won't impact the tailwaters. As it gets closer you might want to keep checking in and asking some of the members here what they think.

Larry
Old 01-21-2009, 01:29 AM

I will definately be checking in A LOT!!! haha. As for Co. we'll be fishing as many rivers as possible. We are taking about a month so we should have time to cover the major ones. We will also be going to some of the high country lakes in the area.

Per someones advice in my first thread ( i think it may have been yours mcnerny ) we purchased a "fly fishing Co." book. We would really like to hit the major rivers that the book covers. the platte, co. river, etc etc... I dont have the book in front of me so i cant remember all the ones that we more or less decided on.

We have come to the conclusion that two of the most prominent patterns that we should be using will be midges and cadis. Scuds also seem popular. We will have a good arsenal of adams some mayflys, humpies, and bwos as well.

Let me know what you think of those flies for the time and (general) area that i've mentioned. Anything major that i left out that i might not think of?

Thanks so much to everyone especially mcnerney, you've helped a ton!
Old 01-21-2009, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

You're getting some great advice, and it sounds like a great trip.

Not sure what book you got on Colorado, but that was a great move, there are a lot of good ones out there. I'd highly recommend spending some big bucks (50 cents) on a couple of used ones like this, but perhaps you already have them or something similar:

Amazon.com: The Montana Angling Guide (2nd Edition): Chuck Fothergill, Bob Sterling: Books

There are also the same guides for Colorado and Wyoming (at similar prices). They have a ton of info, including maps, access points, timing of hatches, recommended patterns, and tons of other info that would be a great help when planning a trip, and getting to spots to fish. Both the Montana and Wyoming guides have info on YNP.

There are other more recent state fly fishing guides, like the "No Nonsense Guide to Colorado" that are also good, but more bucks.

As you get closer to narrowing your trip down, throw out more detail on where and when for more detailed advice. There are also tons of info online with detailed info for different rivers, and up to the minute reports for conditions from local fly shops like Duranglers for the Animas and Dolores, Roaring Fork Anglers for the Roaring Fork and Frying Pan in CO etc. etc. And looking at the hatch charts for specific rivers will also give you an idea of what patterns to add--- and give you an idea of what hatches to try and hit---based on your travel plans you might run into a lot of the same hatches in colorado and hit some of them in the north (or higher altitudes) as it comes off later-- good examples might be Western Green Drakes (different pattern from our EGD) and Pale Morning Duns.

Depending where and when you go, you might also want to try and target the Salmon Fly hatch in Montana which can be anywhere from May to July depending on where you go. It is not a consistent, long lasting hatch so it's a bit of a **** shoot, but if you hit it right it can be epic.

You'll have a great time when you go on your trip, and even the planning for it sounds like a blast.

We'll be expecting daily fishing reports.... with lots of pics!!

peregrines
Old 01-21-2009, 12:16 PM

Peregrines, how does the wgd differ from the egd? Size? color? thanks for pointing that out.

we will definately take a ton of pics were are also gonna try and get some video of it all so that we will be able to prove that the ones that got away really did