Hello everyone. I've been reading for a little while now, and really enjoy the site.
Here's some from me: I live down in Florida (really lower Alabama) and my grandparents have a cabin in North Carolina. When family gets together up in NC, my Uncle always heads to the streams and leaves us to play cards.
I asked to go with him at one point and loved it. For my last birthday I received a fly rod and reel and some flies. I've been practicing in the bay by my house and can't wait to get back up to the rivers.
I've been shopping around for some waders and boots on the internet and read one discussion thread that mentioned Stearns products. I'm currently looking at a Steans Full Grain Leather/Duramesh Felt Sole Wading Shoe and Chest High Stearns Seal Dri Plus waders. (I'm on a student's budget)
Now, here are some questions:
1. Is the Stearns brand reliable, or would I be just as well off with something else?
2. How does LL Bean rank in the reliability department?
3. If I go with the Seal Dri, should I get the ones with the chest pocket and gravel guards on the ankles, or the ones without ($30 cheaper)
4. How about waders with boots already attached? (I found some at LL Bean for $99) I am wary of buying too cheap, but I realize that this gear will be my first and there is the very small possibility that I will outgrow it.
5. How about the boots? Is felt bottom the best? I have seen some with studs, are they helpful?
Any advice would be helpful.