The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 12:15 AM

nicketheflyfisherman is on a distinguished road
Default Gear advice.

Hello fellow flyfishermen, I just rediscovered fly fishing last summer after a 10 year break from fishing. I am from Sweden, but at the moment I live in Santa Barbara, I am a student. I am about to buy a new fly fishing outfit (my first one really since I use my brothers or dads gear.) I have been looking all over the internet to find a good deal since I don’t have too much money to invest at this point. I am looking for a 5wt or 5/6wt gear.
As I understand it, I should spend more money on the rod and the line than the reel. I have landed on a few different rods and only 1 reel really which I cannot choose from. I was wondering if any of you guys or gals has used any of these and what you think about them.

ROD:
-ROSS REELS ESSENCE FC (seems like a nice rod, have not found much talk about this rod.)
-REDINGTON RED
-TFO PRO (seems like a good choice, people seems to like it)
-SAGE FLi (seems like a good choice, people seems to like it)
-SAGE LAUNCH (seems like a good choice, people seems to like it)
-ORVIS CLEARWATER

REEL:
-ORVIS CLEARWATER III
--------------------------------------------------
Is there any other rods in the price range (roughly) 100-200 dollars that I should take a look at? As far as reel goes I have not found any deal better than the Orvis Clearwater III, 50dollars for the reel, with extra spool 20dollars. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks for taking you time!!
Old 01-21-2009, 12:22 AM

rowdy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Gear advice.

I always look for "Used" rods in the classifieds. I often find great bargains there.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:49 AM

MontanaMoose will become famous soon enoughMontanaMoose will become famous soon enough

Hello Nick, well you can check out the Okuma brand reels or go to Bass Pro and check the Hobbs Creek...both are good reels for the money...or...check LL Bean at an outlet near you, either that or online. LL Bean is having some great sales just now and if you can get their credit card, you can order freight free plus you get points towards gear. I used to live in SB. Welcome to the board Nick !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
Old 01-21-2009, 01:08 AM

boone is on a distinguished road

I have the redington rod that you mentioned in a 5wt and love it. It casts everything from tiny dries to wooly buggers and streamers with ease. I would definately recomend that rod to anyone. I dont see anyway that spending even another 500 bucks on a rod could produce something that would out perform the redington.

Hope to have helped
Old 01-21-2009, 06:59 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

SAGE you can find some great deals on sage fli right now. The luanch is a nice rod also, I have used a luanch in a 4wt for awhile now and like it.
The FLI is a little faster rod and is also nice.
Bear
Old 01-21-2009, 06:59 AM

nicketheflyfisherman is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the help! I will keep an eye on ebay for the next few weeks, and see if I can find some good deals. I am leaning towards the Redington...
Cool, I live downtown Santa Barbara. Is there any small pond or something around the downtown where fishing is possible if you don't mind me asking, Moose.

Cheers,
Niklas.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Niklas, it looks like you've been doing your homework, those rods you listed are all good choices.

There are some fly shops out that way if you want to test cast some rods-- Artful Angler in Carpinteria, and Malibu Fish n Tackle in 1000 Oaks

As Rowdy mentioned you can find great deals on used rods too, I'd look for those rods you've listed, and check out Craigs list too. Sometimes they don't come up a lot, but sometimes there are some great finds. One word of advice-- if you go the used route, try to find a rod with a blank guarantee/warranty card that you could use down the road if anything bad happens.

As far as a place to fish nearby, you could always head to the ocean- there should be surf perch etc hanging out near shore that would be a blast on a 5 or 6 weight. (When shopping for a rod and reel it would be good to look for SW proof components if there's a chance you'll be doing this a lot.)

And a great group to hook up with out there is the Santa Barbara fly fishers:
Santa Barbara Flyfishers They run a lot of casting clinics, tying classes, etc and are up on the SW and FW Fly fishing in the area, plus more distant areas like the Sierras etc.

Good luck, and welcome to the board!

peregrines
Old 01-21-2009, 10:02 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Based on peregrines post ... If you're going to fish salt water with a 5 weight rod, and you're on a perch above the water, make sure to have an escape plan so that when you catch that fish, you can get down to water level. If you try to lift any kind of sizable fish out of the water, to that higher perch, you stand a good chance of breaking your fly rod!!
Old 01-21-2009, 10:40 AM

MontanaMoose will become famous soon enoughMontanaMoose will become famous soon enough

Hello again Niklas, well there's the small sand jetty just across Cabrillo Blvd I think it is? It's been 30 years since I've lived in SB. Just go to the beach and find the place where the boats exit and enter the marina. Careful, there's a little riptide there at times. I used to catch the surfperch peregrines speaks of.

You'll be standing on sand where you be casting if they haven't changed anything about the marina and the beach there. I think you'd be better off with a rod and reel rated for salt water use but still, I'd rinse the rod and reel well in fresh water after fishing. Ask the folks you buy the gear from about doing so also as some reels don't like having the spool removed then rinsed. Something to think about.

Also, you're not too far from Lake Cachuma and the Santa Ynez River. Check a map of the mountains behind town and you'll see hiway 154 which will take you to the lake mentioned and there's a turnoff for the river above the lake which historically has been well stocked with trout and though I wouldn't want you to quote me, I believe that's open year round for trout fishing. As an aside, you might also try for smallmouth bass in the same river. I once caught about a 5 lb.er not far above the lake in the river.

Hope some of this helps. Oh, also there used to be a tackle shop at the hiway 154 turnoff to go to the lake and mountains and the folks there were very helpful, though that may be long gone by now.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
Old 01-21-2009, 10:53 AM

Fishstick is on a distinguished road

Niklas

Your just down the road from me. I'd recommend the Artful Angler in Carpinteria as a place to stop by and check out equipment. As far as fishing in the area, the Santa Ynez is your local river but is seasonal. Nothing at the moment (with the exception of the big carp) due to the low water level but if the rain continues, we should have a decent season in the spring. Cachuma lake is where I spend most of my time when the river shuts down. Bass fishing on the lake with the fly rod can be exceptional at times and the largemouth in the lake are fairly chunky with fish in the 5 lb range not uncommon and a few in the 8 lb to 10 lb class. A boat is a must to get to the best spots and a 6wt is what I generally use for the bass unless the wind is up then I break out the 8wt. Corbina and surf perch are common along the shoreline and can be a blast on the fly. Shoot me a PM if you have any more questions on the local area and welcome to Santa Barbara.....

P.S. The Sandspit (As mentioned by Montana Moose) at the harbor is still accessable and from what I hear, they were slamming the jacksmelt on the fly within the past couple of weeks. I'm heading out there sometime this week to give it a shot.