The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2010, 05:33 PM

cw76 has a spectacular aura aboutcw76 has a spectacular aura about
Default switch spey line reccomendations

I just purchased a 7wt. z-axis swicht rod and a 9 wt. bauer reel, any recommendations on a good spey line system? Any tips/suggestions greatly appreciated
Old 11-22-2010, 05:41 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: switch spey line reccomendations

Do you want to cast Skagit or Scandi style?
Old 11-22-2010, 05:51 PM

I was thinking skagit.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:56 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Rio Skagit Short 425 grains. You can throw the 375, but it feels light. It could be difficult to throw bulkier flies.

It has been awhile since I have casted this rod, but if I recall correctly, it can throw 10 feet of T-11 with the 425 grain Skagit Short head.

MP
Old 11-23-2010, 02:20 PM

Thanks MP...Good fishing
Old 11-25-2010, 02:48 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot about this thread. Lots of 'commercial lines' out there but (for the same/less money) you want 'just your line' Google SGS (Steve Gotshall Specials) lines. You can find out much more by going to R B Meiser Rods web site.

Thing about these lines is they're built specifically for 'your rod' and casting style. Lines usually run right at 2.5 times the rod length and the number of 'grains' in the head will be 'tuned' to your casting style. Mine as an example, is a fairly quick lift, slow through the formation of the cast/D-Loop and then 'peddle to the metal' on the forward cast.

So the lines (for my three new 2-handers) have all been on the light side of a rods specific 'grain range.' Silly as it seems, this forces me to slooooooow down on the forward cast to let the rod/line do what they were designed for. "A good thing" I think.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:10 PM

sjs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Forgot about this thread. Lots of 'commercial lines' out there but (for the same/less money) you want 'just your line' Google SGS (Steve Gotshall Specials) lines. You can find out much more by going to R B Meiser Rods web site.

Thing about these lines is they're built specifically for 'your rod' and casting style. Lines usually run right at 2.5 times the rod length and the number of 'grains' in the head will be 'tuned' to your casting style. Mine as an example, is a fairly quick lift, slow through the formation of the cast/D-Loop and then 'peddle to the metal' on the forward cast.

So the lines (for my three new 2-handers) have all been on the light side of a rods specific 'grain range.' Silly as it seems, this forces me to slooooooow down on the forward cast to let the rod/line do what they were designed for. "A good thing" I think.

How much does a SGS line cost? A rio powerspey is about $80, and I think it is a great line. I bet I would like a SGS line better, tho

---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

Forgot, take a look at the Royal Wullff new line put out by Garry Sandstrom, foget the name of it.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:38 PM

gwozdz is on a distinguished road

We have had good luck with the Airflow Delta Spey lines
Old 11-29-2010, 05:11 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Where are you fishing? How big of flies to you like to use and are you fishing fast flows and deep stuff or moderate to low flows? If your fishing heavy water and dead chickens go with a Skagit compact and some of the new MOW tips, if you like smaller profile flies and not so heavy water like here in Ohio then Scandi compact you can still jack a pretty big fly out there and with the poly leaders you can get deep enough. I fish both but have reserved the skagit for the spring runoff.