The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2009, 12:17 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Your biggest fish on a fly?

Sasha & Nate,

Those are nice fish fellas! Sasha, beautiful trout, Nate, those are great pike man. Congratulations to you both.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-09-2009, 11:10 AM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Sasha & Nate,

Those are nice fish fellas! Sasha, beautiful trout, Nate, those are great pike man. Congratulations to you both.

Ard
Thanks! Even though that guy was only 20" it felt like a monster on my ultralight rod. I need to get back out there though as I have only managed to land a 25" brown out of that river this year.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Sasha,

Please don't ever think that a 20" trout is not a monster. Some fishermen spend years on the streams and do not land a fish like yours. Even here in Alaska many rainbow trout I catch are not twenty inches long. When I fished Pennsylvania if you caught a wild 16" trout it was a highlight for the season even if you caught bigger fish latter on.

If all the fish were big we would get sore arms and wrists from landing them, really.

Ard

Old 06-11-2009, 09:44 AM

lilmoosecountry is on a distinguished road

I took a 11lb. Channel Cat at lake viking in northern Mo last monday. I will post pics as soon as i get them back from the lab. (Note to self buy a Digital camera.) It was fun i caught it on a bronze & red Clouser minnow with a 6 weight Fenwick. This is my biggest on a fly rod to this date. Hope that all changes in Aug on the White River.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Sasha,

Please don't ever think that a 20" trout is not a monster. Some fishermen spend years on the streams and do not land a fish like yours. Even here in Alaska many rainbow trout I catch are not twenty inches long. When I fished Pennsylvania if you caught a wild 16" trout it was a highlight for the season even if you caught bigger fish latter on.

If all the fish were big we would get sore arms and wrists from landing them, really.

Ard
True I was not really complaining about it I was being a bit of a smart a** I consider myself fortunate to live in an area where I can go fish and get nice browns. That river is pretty cool usually a day there consists of mostly 17-19" fish with some 20" and a few over 20".

But as much fun as it is I still prefer to go fish remote small creeks where the monsters are 12-13". I just love that type of fly fishing much better. Especially since I am usually the only one out there.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:17 AM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

i caught my biggest fish on the fly last weekend! it was a 17.5 inch largemouth. i know i know, it doesnt seem that big (especially for a LMB) but it seemed really heavy compared to other big bass ive caught. it was fun. it bit the bead head bugger as i was pulling it out of the water to start a backcast...it was like pulling the fly back into a log!
Old 06-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Isn't that the way it happens just when you least expect it, that is not a small bass!

Old 06-15-2011, 10:31 PM
Administrator

There have to be some members who are ready to post to this thread. I caught a big one yesterday

Old 06-15-2011, 11:20 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

great thread ard!
ive caught some of 30+ lbs. kings when i lived in homer. most caught in deep creek, on the kenai peninsula. unfortunately no pics

so heres the biggest dolly varden ive caught

Click the image to open in full size.

taken on an 8 weight with a #4 flesh fly.

casey

ARFE
Old 06-16-2011, 05:00 AM

304rodco has a spectacular aura about304rodco has a spectacular aura about

A smallmouth buffalo that was pushing 30" is probably my best, but I don't have a pic.

This flathead is probably second.
Click the image to open in full size.
cattech89 likes this.

www.304rodcompany.com