The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Your biggest fish on a fly?

This should draw some response.

What is your biggest fish landed on your fly rod? If you have a picture of you and the fish or just the fish, post it up so we may all enjoy your success.

Feel free to elaborate on rod, tippet, and fly that got it done.

I'll have to scan an old photo and then post to the thread later..............

Ard
stripers likes this.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:12 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Your biggest fish on a fly?

A 20" rainbow on a 4wt rod, 5X tippet, I think the fly was a Hi-Viz Humpy.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:23 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a picture of one of 6 nice stripers caught this year... all in the 38" range, probably just under 25#. Two each day, three days in a row... all at the exact same stage of the tide
My best striper ever was 46" and somewhat over 35#. No picture unfortunately, just the one permanently etched in my brain. Full sun, high noon, dead low tide.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, great fish on the 5x, and Riptide, that must have been like groundhog day for those 3 days.

I used to do a lot of tarpon fishing, and have caught a few somewhere around 120-135 ish, as well as many 90-60.

Most of the time on Sage Rplx's or Rplxi's on 10, 11 and 12 weights and Tibor Gulfstreams ( on 11 and 12), Riptides (on the 10) and older Pate Tarpon reels on a 12 weight.

But all the credit should go to the guide, Rob Fordyce. He makes good things possible for someone with zero skillz like me.

Biggest trout so far was 28" brown on a black marabou muddler stripped like crazy through a pool on a sink tip, with a Sage SP 5 weight and Lamson 2.0 reel.

Maybe the weirdest was a 32 pound chinook salmon. I saw it holding below a riffle and made several 'perfect' casts repeatedly to it with the fly (some purple speyish roll your own thing) swinging in front of it with no interest. I finally blew a cast and the fly landed 15 feet away. The fish zoomed over and crushed it. I still scratch my head about that one.

Pics of the tarpon are all on film, I'll see if I can figure out where/how to get them scanned. No pic of the trout unfortunately.

Great thread!

peregrines
Old 01-21-2009, 02:37 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I didn't weigh it , but it would be a 34 " False Albie....Pics to follow as soon as I find them
Old 01-21-2009, 02:38 PM

rowdy will become famous soon enough

28# male Chinook Salmon on an 8wt outfit, 8# tippet & single-egg fly.
Credit River, Ontario. Sorry no scanner for pic.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

I caught this 41 pound King in the Salmon River on the Douglaston property back in 95' while visiting Pa. The biggest King I have caught in AK. was 40 lbs. but I've been broken off by some monsters. This may be my year to top the NY fish................. I say that every year.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Rather than scan, I simply took a picture of a picture using a macro lens.

Not the best image quality but I swear to God it makes me look younger!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KLR 65000440001.jpg (108.0 KB, 217 views)

Last edited by Hardyreels; 06-15-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:11 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

This rainbow I cuaght about three months back is my biggest on a fly rod. It was in the 15-16 lb range. I had two browns on in Dec. that were in the 20 lb range one was INCHES from my feet and the hook pulled out, the other I had close once and he took off on run and broke me off a couple minutes later.
Bear
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1167_edited.jpg (119.2 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1168_edited.jpg (113.7 KB, 269 views)
Old 01-21-2009, 03:14 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I caught that bow on a 9' 4wt sage with 4lb tippet and a size 08 olive wooly bugger by the way.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Yeow! thats allot of fish on 4lb. BEAUTIFUL