The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2009, 04:07 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light
Default Stepping Up

Looking for a little advice. I currently have 2 rods, an inexpensive 7ft 4wt White River and my workhorse, a 9ft 6wt Winston IM6. I'm looking for something heavier, 8-10wt, to increase my fishing possibilities. I can't see doing anything specific with great frequency, but can imagine an occassional steelhead trip, a visit to the salt flats for reds or (dare I hope) bonefish or tarpon, and perhaps some lake largemouth/striper fishing. Might even find myself in Alaska in the fall. (I'd toss in albies too, but I'm probably stretching the envelope there). Bottom line, I don't know exactly what I'll be getting into, but I'd like a rod that gives me a chance at this variety of things, if not be perfect for each. I can't afford a separate rod for each possibility, especially since they may be once-in-a-great-while chances, but I would consider dropping a few bucks for a decent rod somewhere in the middle.

How's that for a challenge? I know I'm asking an impossible question, but what general purpose rod would you consider? What are the pluses and minuses of different possibilities?

THANKS in advance for your thoughts.

Sep
Old 01-22-2009, 04:23 PM

rowdy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Stepping Up

9' 9wt St.Croix Avid flyrod would work fine.
Elkhorn T4 reel would be a sweet match in my opinion.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:28 PM

Fishstick is on a distinguished road

Yup, that's a challenge.

I came across an old 9ft 8wt Lamiglas a couple of years back and while I'll admit it will tire you out on a long day, it has enough backbone to handle just about anything that you have mentioned above (although I'm sure that a rocket albie would put it to a true test). Spent a whole 80 bucks on the rod and it's my go to workhorse when fishing big.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:06 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

HUMMMMMM, Any of the fast action rods from sage or orvis would fit the bill. I find the fast actions great for pushing big flies, I should say med-fast to fast. A 9wt I belive would be the way to go, I fish an 8 wt for bass and hybrid striper but if your looking at Alaska and salt the 9 wouldnt hurt I dont belive. I picked up an orvis clearwater this fall and its a good rod 9ft 8wt. and not expensive either.
Good luck
Bear
Old 01-22-2009, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm. It's going to be tough to find one rod to do it all, and you may find it's not ideal for any one thing in particular.

Since you already have a 4 and 6, I'm thinking you might want to go for an 8 now, and reserving the right for a 10 down the road if you need it.

The 8 would be a great weight for FW bass, redfish, bonefish, specs, steelhead, snook, baby tarpon and would be great for stripers on semi sheltered waters like back bays in salt. It would be great for Atl. salmon and Pacifics, except large kings (chinook), and if you were going to Alaska in the fall, they'd probably be over by then anyway-- it would likely be silvers (coho).

A 10 would be good if you plan on fishing for Chinook salmon, musky in FW, and in the salt for medium to large tarpon, sharks, permit, false albacore, and stripers in windy conditions, and better lifting power if you fish from a boat in deep water. But it would be a bit of a beast for anything else in FW.

A 9 sort of splits the baby. A good all around choice for an inshore SW rod, including bones, snook, stripers, permit and albies but a bit undergunned for large chinook salmon and medium tarpon. Large tarpon would be very tough, not only because of the lighter rod, but the reel you'd probably match it with would probably lean more towards the 8 weight size than the 10 weight size with backing capacity of 200 yds of 20lb test dacron plus 8 weight fly line (so you'd have less with a 9) as opposed to a 10 weight reel that would typically take over 200 yds of 30 dacron. (You could get around this a bit by using gel spun.) A 9 would be a bit on the heavy side for FW bass and steelhead, but you could make it work.

If you wanted to add one rod and to do it all, go for the 9... but if bought a 9 now and you did want another rod down the road that would be a better fit for one of those fish, you wouldn't be slotted as well for a range of different things with your range of rods. Having an arsenal of 4, 6, 8, 10 would be more versatile than 4, 6, 7, 9, or 4, 6, 8, 9 or 4, 6, 9, 10.

Bottom line- I think you'd be covered a lot better with an 8 and a 10 for a wide range of fish than a 9, and an 8 would be more versatile for FW and SW than a 10, so I'd get that first for the most stuff on your list. Sorry, I know this probably isn't what you want to hear...

peregrines
Old 01-22-2009, 07:20 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
Bottom line- I think you'd be covered a lot better with an 8 and a 10 for a wide range of fish than a 9, and an 8 would be more versatile for FW and SW than a 10, so I'd get that first for the most stuff on your list. Sorry, I know this probably isn't what you want to hear...

peregrines
Actually, this is exactly where I think I was going to end up, but I wanted to have the conversation. I appreciate the thorough assessment!!! It's exactly what I was looking for. When I know better what the year holds, I'll make the choice.

THANKS!!!!!
Old 01-22-2009, 08:45 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

Look into a 8wt switch rod. Beullah, Sage, TFO, and Redington are some of the companies making them. If you are a rod maker or would like to give rod making a try look into the Batson switch rod. It would be be a good choice.
If you research the grain window of the switch rods you will see that they offer a wide range of grain weights. This will enable you to choose approximately three different line weights per rod. They also open the possibility for you to use many different types of lines. Yes I would say the switch would fit the bill for what you are looking for.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:50 PM

KRD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy View Post
9' 9wt St.Croix Avid flyrod would work fine.
Elkhorn T4 reel would be a sweet match in my opinion.

I agree and not just because I am a st. croix fan
Old 01-23-2009, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sep View Post
Actually, this is exactly where I think I was going to end up, but I wanted to have the conversation. I appreciate the thorough assessment!!! It's exactly what I was looking for. When I know better what the year holds, I'll make the choice.

THANKS!!!!!
I agree with peregrines: an 8wt will cover most all of what you're after, and it will also be much less tiring than a 9 or 10. Also, for most of what you're after, a 9' makes more sense than something longer.

I'd look into the ECHO Classic series, TFO's TiCR, and Scott's A2 or new A3 series. Those are all great medium-fast rods for the money, with great warranties. (The A2 was discontinued last year, so you might find some smoking deals out there.) If you think it will ever be used on bonefish, a Lamson Velocity reel is the starting point pricewise.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I agree with peregrines: an 8wt will cover most all of what you're after, and it will also be much less tiring than a 9 or 10. Also, for most of what you're after, a 9' makes more sense than something longer.

I'd look into the ECHO Classic series, TFO's TiCR, and Scott's A2 or new A3 series. Those are all great medium-fast rods for the money, with great warranties. (The A2 was discontinued last year, so you might find some smoking deals out there.) If you think it will ever be used on bonefish, a Lamson Velocity reel is the starting point pricewise.
Thanks for the great advice and specific pointers, guys. I appreciate it!!!!

Sep