The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2009, 09:51 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default redington?

I was just looking over the forum fly shop and they have soem good prices on redington, my thing is I bought my son a crosswater outfit awhile back at bass pro, its ofcourse their low end rod, he really likes it, I think its an ok rod , but just, OK.
Has anyone fished their higher priced rods? How do you like them? I hear alot about sage and winston and a couple others but not much on redington.
Bear
Old 01-23-2009, 09:20 AM
ReelFlyRod is on a distinguished road
Default Re: redington?

Hi Bear, my name is Todd Mikesell and I own ReelFlyRod.com. We manage the new Forum Fly Shop and are in the process of building out the complete product line.

I first learned about Redington a few years ago and was extremely impressed with the quality and value of their products. They pack more quality and performance into their products at each price point than any manufacturer I have found. The Crosswater is a suprisingly nice casting rod for $59.00, but the higher end rods like the RS4 and CPX are very sweet casting rods for the money.

The CPX is going to win plenty of awards and accolades, just as the CPS did. The CPX is the perfect choice for guys that want an ultra fast performance rod, but find the prices of Sage or Winston rods too high. Please feel free to give me a call at the shop at 937-434-8472 if you'd like to discuss which rod(s) would suit your specific needs the best.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:46 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Great, thanks I'll give ya a call soon.
yeah the crosswater did cast good for the money, I guess just not what I am use to, like I said my son really likes it and cast well with it, has also caught some very nice bows, browns and bass with it.
Bear
Old 01-23-2009, 10:48 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Redington makes some fine rods. I picked up a Redington Red Fly 9' 8 wt 4pc as a spare for a bonefishing trip a few years ago & it ended up as my primary rod on the trips. It replaced the Powell I normally use in the salt. Granted this is not one of the higher end rods but quality on the lower end usually means quality on the higher end..... IMHO
Old 01-23-2009, 11:00 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I have another question:

Which model would best compare to a St. Croix Imperial (older model, pre-IPC) in 9', 5wt?
Old 01-23-2009, 11:04 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a Redington RS3 9' 6wt, and an RS3 9' 7wt. Both were very well
built, and I bought them from Cabelas for $89 each (closeout!!!). My only
complaint was the 7 wt's snake guides were all the same size, and that caused some line slap on the tip top section. The guides were 3/8" away
from the blank (measured on the inside), and I mailed that rod back. Pretty
stupid move for a rod that only cost $89!

The CPS seemed to have a real following, and Cabelas was blowing them
out for $149 a couple months ago. They are mostly sold out, but they do have a size or two left at that price.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Todd,

Thanks for keeping us updated on the Redington Fly Rods. The New Forum Fly Shop looks good. I hope you have time to give us updates and reviews every once and a while. It is hard to keep up with all the new stuff coming to market every year.

Frank