The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Good Deeds while fishing?

Here's another topic we can kick around awhile;

We all have done a good deed while we were supposed to be fishing. Why not tell a few tales about them? I'll start with two.

[Good Deed #1] I used to take a contractors trash bag along with me several times per year when fishing a favorite little brook in Pennsylvania and after fishing for awhile I'd fill it up. I still do this here in AK. yes there are litterbugs here too. Now that's an atta boy act if ever I've heard one.

[Good Deed #2] Just last year while fishing a rather wild river a man was trying to cross the channel in some pretty rough water, he slipped and began sliding with the bottom strata down towards a rather nasty stretch of water (deep too), I ran up stream and waded out to him while trying to reassure him that all was well and to keep him calm. He grasp my outstretched arm and together we waded from a very prickly spot. Needless to say he was gushing with appreciation for my action and a few other anglers who witnessed the act came and shook my hand and complemented on my quick thinking and personal daring for going in there after him.

Both of these deeds made me feel like I was an asset to the waterways and it makes me proud when I recall them.

Tell us about any unusual acts that you have preformed that made you feel good about just being there.

Ard
Old 01-23-2009, 01:23 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: Good Deeds while fishing?

Well I will have to think back for this one, I can recall the simple things like, teaching folks kids and adults alike, what I am doing to catch fish, giveing 'em flies things like that.
one time I ran across a couple young 'uns that got dropped off at a lake all day with out anything to eat or drink, so I ran into town, only about 5 minutes and bought them a coke and a little something to eat on and brought it back to them. They were both so happy, poor kids were about to die of thirst and hunger(or so they thought) lol

Kept a lady from picking up a damn copperhead one time, was bass fishing a pond and a lady and her husband were also fishing it, they lady walked up on a copperhead just about 15 foot from me and called for her husband to coem tell her what kind of snake this was and this guy says" pick it up and bring it here" So I said not to and wlaked over and sure enough it was a copperhead.
The ones I remeber best though are when others really helped me out of a pickle.
Once bass fishing from my canoe I got a crankbait lure stuck in my finger. Now it was just in my finger, it in the knuckle joint and DEEP, so I rowed to the bank where a couple older guys where fishing and one tried to pull it out, but being the the joint he couldnt get it, so one watched my gear while the other drove me 15 minutes to town to the Doc's office and waited until he got it out then drove me back. Ending up fishing the rest of the day with the guys catching crappie, a couple good fellows for sure.
Bear
Old 01-23-2009, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

Haven't save any body but here is the first one that comes to mind.

We had flown in to a lake in the Talkeetna Mountains. This is the same lake that President Carter went to when he was President. We went early and stayed until late afternoon. Before leaving we taxed the float plane up to the inlet creek. There were two fellows fishing up in the creek for Grayling. I was using a sink tip line and was catching some very nice Grayling off the sand bar down deep in the lake. One of the two guys waded over and was watching me. We struck up a conversation and they hadn't caught anything in two days using dry flies. They were from the lower 48 and were not very impressed with Alaska fishing. I showed him the weighted streamer fly I was using and how to fish it. He was surprised how big it was. If I remember right it was a Burlap fly on a 2X or 3X long #8 streamer hook. I asked if he would like to have some of the flies. When I went into the fly box the only one I had was the one on the line. I cut it off and gave it to him. Not a big deal but I know it changed the outcome of their trip.

Frank
Old 01-23-2009, 04:30 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

well i guess the only good deed i have done fishing is i gave one of my friends my ice fishing rod and tackle during an icefishing tournament. He took fourth and i caught nothing but i had lots of fun wich was ok with me.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 01-23-2009, 04:55 PM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about

There is this small stream near my work. One year on the first day of trout season, I was fishing a short wooded section when I came across a canoe in the middle of the creek. This thing was jammed against a rock and folded in half like a wallet. There was nobody around so I waded in and worked 20 minutes to remove it from the water and set it on two logs. It was made of kevlar so it more or less sprang back into shape. The thing is, I don't understand someone trying to paddle a 16 foot canoe in a stream barely 10 feet wide with boulders the size of small. Anyway the canoe was gone two days later. I also carry a garbage bag when fishing and it's never empty at the end of the day.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

I've taken a few hooks out of people, and freed some tangled up birds.
There's a bird called a Skimmer around here in the summer- on saltwater bays. It's a large bird with a beak with a long sharp lower bill and a short upper one. It flies just above the water dipping (skimming) its lower jaw part in the water looking for small minnows and snaps them up without missing a beat. Sometimes at night they'll bump into a floating leader and get tangled. It's usually an ordeal to get them in once you get over the shock of seeing your line take off--- up in the air. And they flap and peck like they mean it. It can be a real comedy trying to free one by yourself and there's always the risk of getting skewered, but it's cool to watch them fly off even if they're cursing you under their fishbreath.

I've passed out a few flies over the years and it's always a good feeling to see folks get into fish that you've helped a bit. But the best experience by far though was helping out some special needs kids from a home on a trip to a pond. The pond was very heavily stocked for the occasion by the state, and the fish were very willing. But the smiles and shouts and excitement from those kids was just the greatest.

peregrines
Old 01-23-2009, 08:13 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
I've taken a few hooks out of people, and freed some tangled up birds.
There's a bird called a Skimmer around here in the summer- on saltwater bays. It's a large bird with a beak with a long sharp lower bill and a short upper one. It flies just above the water dipping (skimming) its lower jaw part in the water looking for small minnows and snaps them up without missing a beat. Sometimes at night they'll bump into a floating leader and get tangled. It's usually an ordeal to get them in once you get over the shock of seeing your line take off--- up in the air. And they flap and peck like they mean it. It can be a real comedy trying to free one by yourself and there's always the risk of getting skewered, but it's cool to watch them fly off even if they're cursing you under their fishbreath.

I've passed out a few flies over the years and it's always a good feeling to see folks get into fish that you've helped a bit. But the best experience by far though was helping out some special needs kids from a home on a trip to a pond. The pond was very heavily stocked for the occasion by the state, and the fish were very willing. But the smiles and shouts and excitement from those kids was just the greatest.

peregrines
A few years back while duck hunting I found a great horned owl that got wet in flooded grass, I maneged to get him out and set him in a tree, but not with out a thank you from him, he put a tallen in the web between my finegr and thumb, ALL the way through it,,, can you say OUCH boys and girls lol
Old 01-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

No good deed goes unpunished.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
No good deed goes unpunished.
I thinks its gods way of not letting you get to big headed for doing good deads, sir
Old 01-23-2009, 10:17 PM

KRD will become famous soon enough

I take trash bags.

just a few weeks ago I was hiking into a small lake when I ran across a lady who broke her arm. (slipped and fell in the snow a ice.) I went for help called the sheriff and hiked back in to help her out.