The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

View Poll Results: Do you put eyes on your Streamer Flies ?
Yes 15 75.00%
No 4 20.00%
Paint 3 15.00%
Stick ons 4 20.00%
Doll eyes 3 15.00%
Epoxy over them 5 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2009, 09:04 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Streamer Eyes

Subject for discussion
How does everyone feel about putting eyes on streamers & if you put them on , what's your favorite way of doing it. Do you paint them on . use doll eyes, stick ons , & do you epoxy over them.. Post pictures.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:08 PM

rowdy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Streamer Eyes

Bead-chain eyes is what I use. Just tie it on with thread, then whip-finish knot & brush on some clear Fingernail polish.
The same chain that holds the plug for the bath tub.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:19 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy View Post
Bead-chain eyes is what I use. Just tie it on with thread, then whip-finish knot & brush on some clear Fingernail polish.
The same chain that holds the plug for the bath tub.
Wooops, forgot about them, post pics.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:52 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I love eyes on streamers. I use alot of diffrent metheds, I paint them on use stick on eyes, with both I put softex over them helps them stay on a little longer. I use bead-chain eyes for a light weight and for heavier weight I use dumbell eys . I think it gives a litle life to the fly. Here is a small version of a hybrid striper fly I ty. My son was trout fishing the other day and couldnt get mnay takes so he tied on one of the hybrid flies and the trout were smashing it, but being so big he couldnt get mnay hook sets, anyway I made some smaller ones to trout fish with. The eyes are a little big on these becuase thats all I had and none of the local fly shops carry them. I still like it though. These are stick on and softex over them about 3-4 coats
Bear
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1485.jpg (90.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 01-23-2009, 10:04 PM

rowdy will become famous soon enough

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19.../IMG_1146a.jpg
Old 01-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi rowdy,

I am posting your picture so all can see. A picture is always better than a link.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:42 AM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

I use bead chain or dumbbell weights for eyes. The only exception is when I tie Thundercreek streamers. Then, I paint them on and put acrylic over them. I am still trying to figure out how to take a decent photo of a fly (problem getting decent lighting without shadows). Otherwise, I would post some photos.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:50 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I don't always put on eyes, but I do often enough so that I said yes
I use paint...much of the time anyways
Fabric paint that is.... straight out of the applicator bottle. I use fluorescent chartreuse, red, and the silver glitter colors the most.
When the paint dries I make a dot for the pupal with black fingernail polish, using the brush applicator
It's all very simple....so there's little excuse not to do it.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

For years I've sang the praises of Wapsi's Hourglass Brass eyes as a lead dumbell alternative thats tougher, safer, shinier, easier to tie in, etc. Well, I've learned that they've been discontinued. Like, already out of production, so if you're also a fan, you better buy up all you can. If anybody knows of a replacement, please let us all know.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.