The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009, 02:45 PM

Tommy Boy is on a distinguished road
Default A beginner who needs some advice

Just got into the sport and have planned my first trip to Montana this summer. I plan on taking a few casting classes before my trip, but my question is...as a beginner, am I going to be able to tell the casting difference between a $150 rod compared to a $300 rod?

I've looked at the Sage Fli 590, and the Redington RedFly2, and I've narrowed my decisions to those, but with such a price difference between the two, I didn't know if I'm paying more for the Sage name and would basically have the same quality from the two.

Just got back from the Chicagoland Hunting/Fishing show and was quite disappointed. I saw one booth that sold fly rods and it was a company called Grandt. EXPENSIVE!!!!

Thanks for any input!
Old 01-25-2009, 03:18 PM

Benford is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A beginner who needs some advice

I'm not sure what Redington's are like, or what their warranty is. But I use the Fli and I really like it. Plus, it's got Sage's lifetime warranty.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:36 PM

onlymidges will become famous soon enoughonlymidges will become famous soon enough

Sage bought out Redington. You will save some money by buying the Redington. I would get the RS4 though, it is a better rod the RedFly2. It is a little more but worth it.

I use Sage all the time and have used the FLI and RS4 both. The RS4 has a little slower action than the Fli but still a good rod.

Start with the RS4 and then move up to the Fli.

Jr

"Catch and Release"
Old 01-25-2009, 04:10 PM

KRD will become famous soon enough

Will you feel a difference. Sure you will. Weight will be the biggie. Will you be able to cast the expensive one better, NO. I feel buy the best you can afford if you think you will really like fly fishing. Most will dissagree with me there.

Go to a local fly shop and see if they will let you parking lot cast a few rods and see what feels good to you. Plus is can turn into a small casting lesson on the street.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Tommy,

Welcome to the board, and you've sure picked a great destination for your trip. You've gotten some good advice-- no need to break the bank witha 700 dollar rod, but biting the bullet a bit now and going for a better rod seems like a good idea.

Just a word of caution, the Sage Fli has been discontinued and replaced by the Flight. You can find discounted Fli's for around 220 (2 piece) or 250ish (4 piece) as opposed to the Flights which are in the 300's.

As others have said, as a beginner you're not likely to notice much difference, but it would be good to get a rod that you can grow into as your casting improves.

I'm thinking the Reddington RS4 (around 170 for a 2 piece, 200 for a 4 piece) or the Fli for just a bit more if you could find a deal might be a good way to go. I would get a 4 piece for air travel if there's a chance you might be flying with it. The extra bucks for a better rod, in terms of your trip to Montana, will probably be a rounding error, but these are both good rods. Some of the less expensive beginning rods might be a bit easier and more forgiving to learn on, but as you get better and can aerialize (it that's a word) more line, they begin to feel pretty wimpy.

Where are you? Chances are you'll have a lot of fish to chase and time to practice before your trip.

I also highly recommend you checkout a local chapter of TU or FFF club in your area. They'll help take years off your learning curve casting clinics, gear, tackle, where/how to, and you'll meet folks that are into the sport and up on the fishing in your area

To look for a Trout Unlimited chapter: Council/Chapter Search | Trout Unlimited - Conserving coldwater fisheries

or club affiliated with the Federation of Fly Fishers: Locate a Club

Keep asking questions as they come up, lots of helpful folks here. And browse some of the FAQs and recent threads. There maybe some answers to questions you haven't even thought of yet.

Good luck!

peregrines
Old 01-25-2009, 08:24 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRD View Post
Will you feel a difference. Sure you will. Weight will be the biggie. Will you be able to cast the expensive one better, NO. I feel buy the best you can afford if you think you will really like fly fishing. Most will dissagree with me there.
I am a beginner too, and I have a few different fly rods. My 3 wt is a Redington FSF 8'6" I bought at Sierra Trading post. If I remember right, the original price on it was around 325, and I got it for Christmas, discounted and discontinued for 175. It does cast nice, but I gotta be honest, at my stage of learning, I am not so sure I can tell how much nicer it casts then my Griggs 3 wt 6'6" other then being longer and I can feel it a bit better. I also have a Griggs 5wt 9' long that I fish with in the river and it casts nice too. I guess what I am saying is that I can't really tell the difference between the $300 Redington rod and the $75 Griggs rod, I'm sure someone more advanced can, and I am sure the Sage rods are good rods, but I figure when I grow out of the rods I have (if ever), if I have learned enough to be able to get into the fish better and feel the difference betwen a cheap rod and an expensive one, then I will spring for a more expensive rod like a Sage.

Most important thing to me right now is time on the river, I can cast 50 feet or so and get the fly pretty close to where I want it in the yard, and most of the time on the river too, and I can even get it to drift right a good percentage of the time.

What seems to be my biggest learning curve, is reading the river and picking the right flyand the right spot.

Not so sure a $500 rod is going to help me do that any better then what I have now.

Dave
Old 01-26-2009, 11:02 PM

thirdyearff is on a distinguished road

I'll assume you live around the Chicagoland area, if so you might want to check this show out in Feb. You'll have no problems finding a flyrod to cast.

Welcome to Great Waters Expo 2008

You could also talk with either of these folks...

Chicago Fly Fishing Outfitters Online Store - Welcome

One More Cast Fly Shop, Countryside, IL - Joseph Meyer Proprietor

I'm sure they would love to have you test cast a few rods.

Good luck.