The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2009, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Global warming!

I bet that ol'Maple syrup doesn't flow well in those conditions. lol
Someday I would love to try fresh Maple Syrup. mmmmmm

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-30-2009, 02:12 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

Yep, the maple tree sap likes cold nights and warmer days to really get things flowing. And if you are saying you never had 'straight from the farm' maple syrup........make it a point to get some this spring! On french toast; over pancakes; in your cream of wheat; over scrapple; ....maybe not on the 'healthy food' list but ya' gotta' let your taste buds splurge once in awhile! Just fish extra hard the next day!
Old 01-30-2009, 11:51 PM

doc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Without giving away age, when I was younger being the youngest of three, my sisters cleaned the house which left yard and snow to me. My dad would help.
I remember the winters being equal to the really BAD storms we are receiving once in awhile now. Snow up to the windows! Get it once in awhile now, but back then it seemed all the time, not to mention weeks of Blizzard conditions.
Joni, that's because when we were growing up, the Earth was headed toward the next ice age (remember?) And now supposedly we're in a man made global warming. Hmmmm, couldn't possibly be caused by increased solar activity. No Al Gore must be right; it's our fault. After all, what has Al got to gain by lying to us (other than owning Generation Investment Management where select high net worth individuals pay green credits for their extra-large carbon footprint). And the fact that global temperatures have remained static since 1998 (which by the way was the warmest year on record for our planet) in spite of increasing concentrations of greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere, doesn't mean a thing. Odd though how North America has cooled down this winter (set tons of record lows here in Canada) just after a summer with very little solar activity. Kind of makes you think, don't it?

Cheers,
Doc
Old 01-31-2009, 04:24 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Do some people not know what a joke is? Seriously, read MAD Magazine, or National Lampoon. Lighten up. If God didn't have a sense of humor, he wouldn't have created man.
Good one! So true. I'm not sure why some people have to take themselves seriously all the time..............but................
Old 01-31-2009, 04:57 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
We had a GLOBAL WARMING! Conference held here yesterday and HUNDREDS showed up!

Click the image to open in full size.
Absolutely, too funny!! Breaks the tension. Thanks!

Parenthetically, I was looking at the cover of Nature magazine yesterday (yes, I'm still a scientist at heart) and it had a thermopicture of the antartic continent. It was looking at data gathered since 1957 when the first satellites started orbiting the earth.

Anyone remember "Sputnik"?

It's getting warmer down there. It's a small change - 0.1 degree C per decade, but it is getting warmer. And, the Greenland ice cap is starting to look more like the Greenald "ice cube" to me; when viewed from comparative satellite pictures.

But, no one really knows; scientist or layman, if this is a short cycle or a long cycle that could lead to a true global melt. All we really have at this point are "indicators" and no one has ever applied these to this type of situation before, since this is the first time that we've faced this possiblity/probability - your choice as to what it actually is. However at the current rate of change, it will take a long time to make a significant difference to life on earth as we know it.

Anyway, it's cold out. I'm going to turn up the heat.

And when I was watering the dog last night, I leaned down to pick up a stick that the ice had knocked off one of our trees. I happened to look sideways while I was bent over and, you know, those snowbanks do look a lot higher from 3 ft. than they do from 6 ft.!