The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 12:23 PM

i want to catch fish will become famous soon enough
Default using scents for your flys

does anyone use scents for there flys i konw a few people that use a gell like thing. They say it gives a little flavor to them so the fish keep it longer in there mouth is this true or what do you guys use
Old 01-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: using scents for your flys

I wouldn't go there. Just be patient dude, I was not the greatest fly fisherman in the world when I first started and still am not 43 years later. What I did was to learn the old fashioned or traditional ways to fly fish for trout and salmon. I didn't follow every new fad just because I wanted to catch fish. (no pun intended) I made sure I knew why I caught fish and not that it might be because of some rumor about gel that you rub on a fly.

Don't go with the fads dude, learn how to fly fish and you will be the envy of the guys with the stinky hands and the secret talismans.

Ard
Old 01-27-2009, 12:50 PM

ooo no i dont want to use them ill clarify i konw a few people that we fish with use them and i was wondering what other people thougth of it bc like i konw when we fish with our spinning rod for bass we use the salt falvor tubes and we seem to catch fish 3 times more so i was wondering what people think on it
Old 01-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I have the same sentiment as Ard, keep your fly rod clean.

Now as far as spin fishing, yea I will use scents occasionally, but I use my fly rod 30/1.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-27-2009, 02:25 PM

Midwest flyfish kid will become famous soon enough

I dont use it because I am too cheap to buy it
Old 01-27-2009, 02:44 PM

onlymidges will become famous soon enoughonlymidges will become famous soon enough
Re: using scents for your flys

Please don't do something like that!!!

If you want to catch fish with flies get a hatch chart for your area and go from there.

It is illegal here and I have caught some people using power bait in Delayed Harvest streams and told them I will call a Game Warden if they don't stop using that stuff.

Fly Fishing is an old art that catches fish!!! So why do something like that? It does not need to be tampered with!!!

Jr

"Catch and Release"
Old 01-27-2009, 03:16 PM

ok i agree with everyone and i do use my fly rod more then anytihng and love it i was just seeing what people think of it
Old 01-27-2009, 03:29 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

First of all what does a mayfly smell like? lol J/K
No I dont use scents when fly fishing, its against the law here also unless you are in an open area(anything goes). I dont even use them when bass fishing with a fly rod mainly becuase I mostly use poppers and the scent would'nt do much good anyway.
one of my biggest reason for not useing scent on my flies is it usally cuases fish to sallow the fly deeper, and I almost always C & R when trout fishing. I bet ya I have kept more crappie and walleye this year then I have trout in the last 4 years.
I am usally a live and let live type of guy when it comes to fishing, unless it is something that hurts our sport and the resources and I blive scents on flies do'es just this, no I am not reading you the riote act, I know you dont use them, just saying what I think is all
Bear
Old 01-27-2009, 04:19 PM

thanks bear
ya we had the same problem on the river here bc people say the river sucks but my opionon is that this river is like boot camp for all other rivers in michingan its a very hard river to catch fish in you have to do all your hw for it so i wondering what people think on here i dont use it so ya
Old 01-27-2009, 06:24 PM

rustydeej is on a distinguished road

I would not use an artifical scent, but I do rub my nymphs or any wet fly and my tailing leader in the wet algae built up on the rocks or sometimes I will smear them with stream bottom mud. This is all to mask my scent.

Rusty