The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2009, 11:38 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Question Which knot do you use ???

For those of you that use streamers, especially ones that let's say are on the larger end, how do you attach your fly to the line ?

- Clinch knot, or equivalent ?
- Mono Slip knot, or some variation ?

I've been tying some larger end streamers this winter, some are tube flies as well & wondered what success any of you have had using the Mono-Slip knot ?

Does it hold well ? Working in engineering for many years it does seem that depending on a loop of fishing line thru a hook eye seems to be an easy method of breaking your line. Am I right, or wrong ?

For years I've just used the clinch, but I have been reading about the Mono-Slip & how it makes the fly swim more life-like.

What have you found, or what works for you ?

Tie One On
Old 01-28-2009, 12:05 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which knot do you use ???

Sometimes you want control (clinch), sometimes you want action (non-slip mono loop)

I use both depending on what I want to accomplish

One thing about the non-slip loop.... I've never had one break
Old 01-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Tie,

The hardest test of my knots was made years ago on tributaries to Lake Ontario when King Salmon fishing. I used the Orvis slip type knot to the fly and attached the 25lb tippet to the fly line using a perfection loop.

Every time I was broke off I lost the whole rig (fly, leader, split shot) the perfection loop broke before the Orvis knot. I would humbly submit that the Orvis slip knot is stronger. I use it to this day for all connections of fly to leader and just go a little easier when I have a big fish hooked.

I have very few break off.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi tie one on,

I was thinking about you yesterday wondering where you were. I haven't see you post a whole lot this winter.

I would think that a small non-slip mono knot would work just fine with large flies. This assumes you are using a heavy enough tippet. If you are concerned with it breaking you might try this. Use a Uni knot with a very small loop. When a fish strikes the loop will close and you are fighting with a tight knot. You may have to leave the tag end of the Uni knot just a bit longer than normal.

Another thought for big flies is to use a Palomar Knot. It is one of the very strongest knots. With the Palomar Knot you will have two strands of mono through the hook eye. The problem with the Palomar knot is it uses a lot of leader to tye it on. Once you get good at tying it you can cut down on the line you use. Of course it is not a loop knot.

Frank
Old 01-28-2009, 02:32 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I use two knots, the improved clinch for small eyed flies and the palamar for big bass, striper flies. The palamar has been tested against many other knots and has never been beat for breaking strength. I am going to learn the loop knot this year I have heard alot of good things about fishing streamers with this knot.
Bear
Old 01-28-2009, 03:14 PM

KRD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfishinbear View Post
I use two knots, the improved clinch for small eyed flies and the palamar for big bass, striper flies. The palamar has been tested against many other knots and has never been beat for breaking strenght
I agree here. I use the palamar knot when ever I can.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:25 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRD View Post
I agree here. I use the palamar knot when ever I can.
It is a good one, I grew up warm water fishing and my dad tought me very young the palamar and said it was the only knot you would ever need, unless the eye is to small for the line. I guess I just kinda carried that over to fly fishing, wish I could use it on my trout flies, but the improved clicnh works pretty good for the most part.