The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2009, 11:16 AM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road
Default Cleaning felt soles?

I understand that felt soles are on their way out because they transport invasive species. I certainly want to be on the safe side of this issue, but my wading boots are fairly new so I'm not ready to buy a new pair.

So how do I clean the felt soles so that I won't carry any unwanted hitch hickers? Do I need to clean them if I'm going back to the same water the next day?
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley
Old 01-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Cleaning felt soles?

Same water I wouldn't sweat it, different water, put a little Clorox (and a tad of water) into a pan and get em wet. That oughta kill whatever. I wouldn't let them soak for too long in case the Clorox eats glue. I know it'll kill anything that lives in a creek.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:20 PM

ab4usa is on a distinguished road

We have those invasive species here in MD. All of the good streams have washing stations with a (I think) 5% salt water solution. You stand there for 30 seconds and you're done.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:58 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

There was an old thread on cleaning equipment for whirling desease. There is a lot of good info there..

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...html#post23580
Old 01-28-2009, 01:40 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Is it good practice to clean waders and such or just the boots? I haven't heard of any reports of Whirling Disease where I fish, but I don't want to help migrate anything from one watershed/stream to another. All my stuff is new so I'm looking to the future.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:43 AM

Biggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud of

I would just be deligent in getting any moss, mud or debris washed off your boots at each stream you fish. Also check you laces for any hitch hikers, primarily snails. Taking the boots home with you when they have mud etc.. will only put that stuff in your home drainage. As far as cleaning your gear with bleach or other solutions it may help but it is probably only going to destroy your boots faster.

There has always been a debate about whether any of the cleaning solutions really destroy some of our aquatic invaders such as Whirling Disease, PKD, Mudsnail and the like. Whirling disease spores are tough little critters and they are not easily killed. Being diligent with cleaning your gear, which also includes draining water from your boat, is the best approach for not transporting aquatic hitch hikers.

Most likely Whirling disease has been spread by hatchery stocking programs or migratory birds that have a fancy for eating fish. A anglers equipment could never compete as a carrier of spores with the likes of a Pelican or Merganser who eats an entire infected fish and then flies to another drainage to discharge the digested spores.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:33 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Cleaning felt soles?

Biggie, what you say makes a lot of sense.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:27 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

We stepped in a lot of Clorox washing stations last season. This year it's Vibran soles all around / no more felt.