The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2010, 11:55 AM

alex_brazil is on a distinguished road
Default Re: where to go? suggestions, please!

Hi Larry!

Hey, in addition to MT, WY and ID, Colorado is also being considered. BTW, Denver is a stop for almost flights from Brazil to those states... If I choose Colorado, I would base out in Denver.

Larry, If I choose Colorado, I would like to flyfishing using boat or "rafting boat"... IŽd like to wade too...so, can you tell me about options for rivers, with "shallow" water, where I could wade there?

tks!
Alex
Old 12-03-2010, 12:59 PM

bjweller has a spectacular aura aboutbjweller has a spectacular aura about

Hi Alex,

First, we don't care about your English skills, just your casting skills. There are several great waters within 1-2 hour drive of Denver, CO. There are several tail waters which stay warm all year which means you can fish year round.

Of course your Montana idea is certainly a good one. I write about it all the time on this forum but Ennis, MT, has excellent fishing literally within minutes of the town. I have only been there in the summer, however so I don't know much about the other seasons. From what I hear, a lot of the water up there freezes in Winter, but I can only guess that Spring thaw out and Fall are excellent. Good luck.

Bret
Old 01-17-2011, 09:49 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_brazil View Post
Hi Larry!

Hey, in addition to MT, WY and ID, Colorado is also being considered. BTW, Denver is a stop for almost flights from Brazil to those states... If I choose Colorado, I would base out in Denver.

Larry, If I choose Colorado, I would like to flyfishing using boat or "rafting boat"... IŽd like to wade too...so, can you tell me about options for rivers, with "shallow" water, where I could wade there?

tks!
Alex
Alex: I didn't see your post until now, sorry about the late reply. Lately I've been watching all the flooding in Brazil on TV, it looks terrible, I hope you are not being impacted by it.
You are correct, Denver is a major airline hub and that certainly is an option to consider. You could rent a car and within a 3 hr drive you would have numerous rivers to fish: Arkansas River, Blue River, South Platte River, Colorado River, Frying Pan River, Roaring Fork River. A little further out is the Taylor, the Gunnison and the Conejos. All of those rivers are wadeable in sections. Of those rivers the only two I have floated are the Colorado River below Glenwood Springs, CO and the Roaring Fork just south of Glenwood Springs. The Colorado River has some nice wadeable sections around Hot Sulphur Springs, CO and Parshall, CO. Hot Sulphur Springs is 90 miles west of Denver. The Blue River is 68 miles west of Denver. The South Platte up by Spinney Reservoir is around 90 miles SW of Denver. The Frying Pan and Roaring Fork are about 170 miles west of Denver.
One option for you two to save a little money would be to camp some nights and hotel other nights or just plan on camping the entire trip.
If you flew into Denver, rented a car you could sample a few of the rivers in Colorado for a few days than start working your way north to sample a few rivers in Montana, Wyoming, Utah or Idaho and then drive back to Denver to return home. When you float a river the crowding isn't an issue as you have miles of river to fish, but remember in CO, WY and UT the landowner owns the river bed so that means you can only wade on public access sites, which in the summer can become crowded unless you happen to be on BLM land or National Forest land which tend to give you more room to spread out. Montana on the other hand allows anglers to wade in rivers surrounded by private property as long as you stay below the high water mark. That law gives you much more opportunity to explore a river on foot. I live in Wyoming and that is the main reason I bought a boat so I could fish more of the rivers and not be restricted to the public access points. For example, the North Platte River up on the Grey Reef section (just below Casper) has some tremendous fishing but there are only four public access points in the first 7 miles below the dam, so fishing from a boat gives you much more opportunity to land a nice trout without having to deal with the crowds on the public access points.

Larry

Old 01-17-2011, 10:35 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Alex,

Welcome to the forum. Of the many places to fish in the US I would not have chosen Reno. They do have some fishing but not in the abundance you might find in Montana or Wyoming. Maybe some of our Western States fly fishers will stop by and make some suggestions.

Frank
Ouch Frank that's kind of harsh. There is nothing wrong with the fishing opportunities around here near Reno. With the sizes of the Browns that have been coming out of the Truckee lately there's no other place I would like to be. Having the chance at hooking a 30 inch Brown in any hole you fish is pretty sweet. The river is 5 minutes from the airport with hotels everywhere you look. It's a great place to come and get away. Plenty of well known trout streams within 3 hours too.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi troutdoorsman,

Didn't intend to be harsh. I looked at your area for a place to move to at one time and decided againist it. Just not enough rivers to fish. The Truckee is a fine trout river but its the only good river within an hours drive. I still think there are better fishing choices for Alex. But, then there is the Gambling in Reno.

Frank
Old 01-18-2011, 05:43 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

There are a few more rivers than just the Truckee within an hour but Pyramid is also a huge draw for the Lahontan Cutthroats. There are alot of lakes to fish within range and like you said there is PLENTY of gambling available too. I love this place!!