The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2010, 03:06 PM

alex_brazil is on a distinguished road
Default where to go? suggestions, please!

Hi everybody!

First of all, sorry for my POOR English!

My nameŽs Alex, I am from Brazil. I flyfish since 2005 and I have created and run a flyfishing site/forum here in Brazil in order to promote flyfishing down here.

Probably IŽll be retired by next year, around Sep or Oct/2011.
I intend to give myself a gift! That would be a trip to to the USA for some troutfishing and to know some fly shop as well...

As I am going alone and probably will drive to the river by myself, I would like to ask you for suggestions, considering that I prefer to fish close to a main city (for ex: Reno, Billings...). I mean, IŽd like to fly from a hub city, such as Atlanta, Dallas, LA to a smaller city and to flyfishing near of this city... maybe a one-hour-d rive trip from the city. ThatŽs why I have been thinking about Reno area, where I can purchase my tackle at CabelaŽs and at other smaller shops and TROUTfish around...

BUT I AM OPEN for suggestions! LOL.

Thanks for your attention!

Alex_brazil

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 11-26-2010 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Removed Link
Old 11-26-2010, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: where to go? suggestions, please!

Hi Alex,

Welcome to the forum. Of the many places to fish in the US I would not have chosen Reno. They do have some fishing but not in the abundance you might find in Montana or Wyoming. Maybe some of our Western States fly fishers will stop by and make some suggestions.

Frank
Old 11-26-2010, 05:52 PM

idaho fisherman is on a distinguished road

Alex,

How long do you plan on being in the U.S.? There are lots of places in the U.S. for trout fishing and knowing how long you can stay may help set up a memorable trip. For example, September and October are great cutthroat trout fishing here in Idaho and Montana and in other parts of the mountain west.

Bob
Old 11-26-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Alex,

Welcome to the forum. Of the many places to fish in the US I would not have chosen Reno. They do have some fishing but not in the abundance you might find in Montana or Wyoming. Maybe some of our Western States fly fishers will stop by and make some suggestions.

Frank
Hi, Frank!

Montana is one of my options, indeed.
Have not considered Wyoming so far.

Have trout near the city IŽll stay is a MUST!
As I think IŽll have to fish alone, I donŽt intend to explore places far from the
city IŽll stay in...

Thanks!

Alex

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho fisherman View Post
Alex,

How long do you plan on being in the U.S.? There are lots of places in the U.S. for trout fishing and knowing how long you can stay may help set up a memorable trip. For example, September and October are great cutthroat trout fishing here in Idaho and Montana and in other parts of the mountain west.

Bob

Bob, I HOPE IŽll be retired ! IŽll have plenty of time, but not too much money! LOL

Well, I wonŽt be able to spend much money, as long as IŽll have to pay the tickets (around 2,000USD), hotel and also to rent a car...
I plan to stay around 10 days... it means I wonŽt be able to fish in many places... maybe just be based on one city and fish the vicinity.

Alex
Old 11-26-2010, 09:57 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to the forum! I am envious about your trip and your retirement!!

I would choose Bozeman, MT because it is a big enough city that you will not have a problem finding lodging, food, rental car and it has three or four great rivers within a very close distance.

However, Idaho, Colorado, and Wyoming are all great places to visit and fish. World class fishing and some of the most spectacular scenery in the world as well as some of the nicest people you will meet. Very welcoming to visitors from other countries.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:49 AM

idaho fisherman is on a distinguished road

Alex,

My first thought about a one city fishing vacation was also Bozeman, Montana. gjcordray said it very well. I would just add that Bozeman is a well known fishing vacation area here in the States because of the many world class trout rivers in the immediate area. There are a number of fly shops where you can buy any equipment you may need and numerous guide services available.

I'm also retired and understand the part about "not too much money". You may want to contact a local fly fishing club in the Bozeman area. I'm sure they would welcome a visitor from Brazil and be willing to provide you with a lot of "local" information about fishing spots and flies. They may also be able to help you with reasonably priced places to stay and even offer to "take you fishing".

Bob
Old 11-28-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Alex,

Frank
Hi Frank!

Yeah, I have been emailed about some other options, such as MT, Idaho, Wyoming and Colorado...

I know these states are fantastic options. I am considering these places too. If I decide for another, with less trout, IŽll let these for a future triakinp. Maybe with some other friend along... in this condition, I think it will be better to explore some of these large states (could take longer trips... and it would be even safer being not alone).

Alex

---------- Post added at 06:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho fisherman View Post
Alex,

Bob
I could stay 10-15 days. It depends on my waste of money for pay hotels and car rentals... If I have to pay for guide service for some days of fishing(300 dollars/day at the minimum) I couldnŽt stay longer than 10 days...

alex

---------- Post added at 06:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcordray View Post
Welcome to the forum! I am envious about your trip and your retirement!!

I would choose Bozeman, MT because it is a big enough city that you will not have a problem finding lodging, food, rental car and it has three or four great rivers within a very close distance.

However, Idaho, Colorado, and Wyoming are all great places to visit and fish. World class fishing and some of the most spectacular scenery in the world as well as some of the nicest people you will meet. Very welcoming to visitors from other countries.
It really seems that MT, ID, CO and Wy are the best places among all the other options. IŽll go there someday... if not during my 1st trip, maybe during the second.

Could you say which are the best months for flyfishing these states? Before September?

Alex
Old 12-02-2010, 03:53 PM

Hey, guys... i have a friend who wanna go along with me for some flyfishing in the USA...

We intend to go in the end of July.2011... flyfishing from July 28th till August.4th...

How is flyfishing this period in Montana, Idaho or Wyoming?

Too crowded????

What do you say?

thanks!
Alex
Old 12-02-2010, 05:27 PM

merkin_muffley is on a distinguished road

I'd recommend looking into Missoula, Montana for that time of year. It's a university town with a little over 100,000 people, plus within a half hour or less you can be fishing some of the highest quality trout streams in the United States. Cutthroat, brown, rainbow, brook trout and a few other warm and coldwater species are all present and easily accessible in a very close geographic area.

You may also want to look into the front range of Colorado (Fort Collins/Denver), northern California (Redding), Idaho Falls and Boise in Idaho, as well as Oregon.

Good luck!
Old 12-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_brazil View Post
Hey, guys... i have a friend who wanna go along with me for some flyfishing in the USA...

We intend to go in the end of July.2011... flyfishing from July 28th till August.4th...

How is flyfishing this period in Montana, Idaho or Wyoming?

Too crowded????

What do you say?

thanks!
Alex
Alex: Spring run off normally finishes the first part of July, so coming to the Rockies in the later part of July to early Aug will be prime fishing.

Larry