The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2009, 06:57 PM

dickensheets is on a distinguished road
Default How important is the price of the rod?

Ok I'm a descent fishman. I do trout, bass and carp where I live. I fantasize about the salt but I live in Colorado. I'm an arline pilot so cheap travel means I can someday explore my fantasy.

Question: Will a $400 rod catch more fish than the $90 rods I currently employ. My common sense says no. But with all the advertising hype I feel a little inadequate. I show up to the stream with my blue jeans and Harley hat and catch fish but I'm a little embarrassed by my equip sometimes. I mean I've seen the "Orvis Model" look alike guy catch a tree trout on his first cast, but I do that too on occasion.

I want to wrap my own Scott blank but I have other expesive hobbies (wife, kids, welding) so money is an issue. Should I just go on with my disposable quiver or upgrade and get matching waders and vest.

Ryan
Old 01-28-2009, 07:32 PM

Shane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: How important is the price of the rod?

I'll drop my two cents worth. I think the number of fish a person catches, particularly when fly fishing, is heavily based upon technique, experience, knowledge, and such. The right flies at the right time, at the right place, with the right presentation usually wins out.

Knowing the hatches, knowing the streams, and knowing the fish will get you more fish than a fancy rod. I've seen people with probably $2000 in equipment waste an entire day at the river catching nothing but trees while a twelve year old kid pulled them in on almost every cast.

I spend most of my time fishing with a cheap telescopic rod, mainly because that's what I am accustomed to using. I like the way it feels in my hand, the way it throws nice, tight loops over good distance, and weighs considerably less than my old "beginner's" rod. Sure, I've seen people laugh when I pulled out that rod, but they usually stop laughing the first time I set the hook.

If you're catching fish now, the only reason I know to change rods is if you think yours is too heavy for all day fishing, too worn out, or the wrong rod for the species you are after or the location you're fishing.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:05 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

To me a good quality rod means a better, smoother and farther cast. A good cast can get you into a tight spot that not a lot of other people can cast into because thier rod doesn't perform as nicely. There are always exceptions to the rule, not every expensive rod will perform good. Knowing how to catch the fish like described in the first post will get you into more fish than a rod though.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:07 PM

pc40chas is on a distinguished road

buy what you can afford. dont forget to add in the warranties there 25 years and up on some of these new rods. plus there a dream to fish with. if your gonna drop that kind of money, make sure you know the action you like and not what these companies are pushing. all of these new rods are getting stiffer and faster, and i personaly like just a little more of a traditional rod. to each his own. good luck
Old 01-28-2009, 09:14 PM

Fishstick is on a distinguished road

Buy what feels right. I've slung line on some high end rods that felt like telephone poles and some entry level rods that just had the magic. One of the advantages of a local fly shop is that you can try before you buy. What works for me, may not work for you. The rod should compliment your particular style and become an extension of your arm.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:32 PM

rustydeej is on a distinguished road

I'm sure you would look nice in matching waders and vest but if that pole is working stick with it. I agree with packfan that a high end rod might allow you to get into a tight spot or leave your arm less tired at the of the day.

Rusty
Old 01-28-2009, 09:41 PM

dickensheets is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies gents.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:20 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I think LINE is more important than the rod. And of course fly and presentation is the key.

CONFIDENCE is the most important. If you have that, you can make anything work.
The more expensive rods do make a difference though. Not saying you will catch more fish, but like already said, it will be less of a struggle and much more enjoyable.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:27 AM

GRN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I think LINE is more important than the rod. And of course fly and presentation is the key.

CONFIDENCE is the most important. If you have that, you can make anything work.
The more expensive rods do make a difference though. Not saying you will catch more fish, but like already said, it will be less of a struggle and much more enjoyable.
Agreed - line is THE big one, will make or break your potential with any rod of any cost or flavor.

I do appreciate the differences offered by premium rods. Do I catch more fish because I have a pile of expensive rods? Maybe, but not many if so... I have a few rods that seem to completely integrate with my body and vision, and allow me to pull off some pretty funky presentations to real tricky holds... there are usually more relaxed fish holding there because they are spots most folks won't even see in their scope of what's possible when they step into that stretch of water. Is it just familiarity with the rod? Maybe, but I don't think that's all of the picture... if I hadn't made a significant connection with them to begin with, I would have never gotten that familiar, right? Yes, I do cast all kinds of rods of all weights, lengths, actions and cost, and the few that have really inspired me have lately all been more expensive rods. Trust me, I would prefer they weren't, even at pro pricing it's a retarded amount of $ to spend on a 'fishing pole'.

Others might pick up my 4 core go to rod/line combos I find they don't suit them well at all... it's very subjective. Cast as many rods as you can, and when you find a few you like try them again with different lines and see what happens. My personal experience has been that some rods have one line match that brings out the best of that rod for how they use it. Some rods shine with different lines, taking on different personalities and rising specifically well to different tasks. Most of the rods I own are the later because that's what does it for me, nothing measurable or objective about it.

I fish mostly 2 SLT's, a Z-Axis, a ZXL, a BIIx, a LT3 variant (Delaware Special), an SP and a TRC (hoping to ad a G2 to this list this year). On those, the most fished lines are TT, SA & Rio DT, Windcutter, Tactical Ridge, and Lake type VII. Wide range of rods, wide range of lines.

What you wear and carry to the river has little to do with the heart of the experience. When you're on the water, ALL of your attention should be on the water. This will solve you're concerns for what others think (who?) and make you a better fisherman too...

TL's~

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 01-29-2009, 12:48 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back GRN. Missed YOU! And NO you can't have your rod back! LOL