The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 06:23 AM

lefty2 is on a distinguished road
Default leader confusion from a noob.......

i will admit that i am a bit inexperienced when it comes to fly fishing and the sport can be quite intimidating....but i am learning.

i do have a question. when it comes to packaged leaders, do you guys generally add tippet to it right away? also, can different size tippets be added to a leader or do they have to match? in my neck of the woods, there are few fly fishers, so i will turn to this site for help, if you all don't mind.

thanks, lefty.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:04 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: leader confusion from a noob.......

Lefty,

I always have when I've used them. In freshwater I usually tied up my own though. This was because they are expensive and also because I usually fished still water where I preferred longer than nornal leaders.

About the only thing I use tapered leaderrs for anymore is bonefish, because the knots in tied leaders disturbs the bay and turtle grass they often cruise in.

For them I use tapered permit leaders which are 20lb test and add a long length of 10 or 12 lb to them. The tapered ones made for bonefish are not nearly long enough for the "downtown" fish I go after in my opinion.

If you are new to fly fishing, especially if fishing rivers and streams, the ready made leaders will be plenty long enough. After they shorten from fly changes, you can then add more tippet material with a blood knot, double duncan loop (uni Knot), or 3 turn surgeon's knot.

As far as matching, if you add tippet, is should be equal to or smaller in diameter than what you are
attaching to. For better fly turnover, it should be smaller. Way too small is not good, but you will know that by the difficulty you will experience when tying a blood or uni knot.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 11-27-2010, 08:17 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I generally fish with 7-9' leaders and then add about 2' of tippet to them. Leaders are expensive and I try to make mine last.

I've tied a smaller diameter tippet to larger leaders (7x tippet to a 5x leader) in a few instances, but not very often. You have to be careful with this, if the diameters are too far apart your fly might not turn over properly.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 11-27-2010, 09:20 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

There should be around 4 feet of usable tippet on your leader. Eventually it will become to short from re-tying on new flies and you will have to add to it. I put a tippet ring on my leader after it gets to short and then you only have to add tippet. Google tippet rings. You tie your ring to your shortened leader and then you tie your tippet to the ring. Saves money.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:56 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw355 View Post
There should be around 4 feet of usable tippet on your leader. Eventually it will become to short from re-tying on new flies and you will have to add to it. I put a tippet ring on my leader after it gets to short and then you only have to add tippet. Google tippet rings. You tie your ring to your shortened leader and then you tie your tippet to the ring. Saves money.
Beat me to it. For 'Steelhead/Salmon' test leaders I don't use a tippet ring, but when I get below 6# material they're the 'Cat's Meow.'

fae
Old 11-27-2010, 11:10 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I would recommend not using the tippet rings. Tie a very small Perfection loop in the leader end and then use a loop to loop connection. Surgeon loops and Non-Slip loops are both stronger then the "Perfection" for the tippet side.

You should be able to use 3 different tippet sizes on your leader. The one written on the package plus the X sizes larger and smaller.
But any difference in the diameter much more than .002" will make life difficult.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:56 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

The only leader I would ever use a tippet ring on would be a furled leader. On your prepackaged leader, put a tiny perfection loop at the end, and just be careful adding tippet (also with a small perfection loop, added handshake method), and enjoy!
Old 11-27-2010, 05:02 PM

sjs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty2 View Post
i will admit that i am a bit inexperienced when it comes to fly fishing and the sport can be quite intimidating....but i am learning.

i do have a question. when it comes to packaged leaders, do you guys generally add tippet to it right away? also, can different size tippets be added to a leader or do they have to match? in my neck of the woods, there are few fly fishers, so i will turn to this site for help, if you all don't mind.

thanks, lefty.
Not due to a cost perspective. I bought about a hundred leaders because they were about $.30 each from STP. THink I have had them 2 or 3 years, still have a good 30 -50 left.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:57 PM

smog7 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I would recommend not using the tippet rings. Tie a very small Perfection loop in the leader end and then use a loop to loop connection. Surgeon loops and Non-Slip loops are both stronger then the "Perfection" for the tippet side.

You should be able to use 3 different tippet sizes on your leader. The one written on the package plus the X sizes larger and smaller.
But any difference in the diameter much more than .002" will make life difficult.
anyone have a picture of how this leader would look?
Old 11-28-2010, 11:34 AM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Hi lefty,
Can you tell us what kind of water you are primarily targeting? I think that would help us to give you more direct information instead of a generalized answer.
I personally use furled leaders whenever I can. The last ones that I got were from forum member Joni. Check out her website then send her a PM. Her leaders are some of the best I have used. And although I havent been at this for too many years I have used several furled leaders.
Here's Joni's website......http://utahflygoddess.yolasite.com/

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...