Gray Reef

bjweller

Reaction score
I am going on a two day float trip with two friends on Gray Reef around the middle of March. I have been fly fishing for sixteen years around various parts of Colorado. But when I started researching fly patterns for Gray Reef in Wyoming, I saw names of patterns I had never heard of before. Anyone have a favorite pattern for that stretch around that time? Pictures and / or links to websites with recipes are most appreciated.

Also, any recommendations as to rod weight. My sense is that a 4 wt is too light. Any preference between a 5 and a 6. My 5 wt is my favorite rod (Sage FLi). I would like to use it but I am wondering if it is enough rod.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Your 4 wt would to too light up there, either a 5 (nymphing) or 6 (if you want to throw streamers) will work (the main issue is dealing with the wind). For fly selection, follow the advice that is posted on the North Platte Fly Shop web site it is pretty much spot on.
Grey Reef Fishing Reports, Gray Reef Fly Shop, Guide Service

Here is a fishing report from the shop on the dam: http://www.northplatteflyfishing.com/fishingreport.php

Also take a look at their fly tying section, it will give you a good idea of what patterns to use (it will change with the season).
North Platte River, Gray Reef Flies

Dress warm and expect lots of wind (unless you get lucky)!
If you can post names of flies you have heard but don't know what they look like of maybe I can provide some help.

Larry

Last edited:

fishngolf16

Reaction score
My favorite shop and information resource for the Grey Reef is North Platte River Fly Shop. North Platte River Fly Shop, Wyoming Fishing Guided Trout Trips

Definitely take a 6 wt or even a 7 wt for windy days. Most guides will have you fishing sub surface unless you are lucky during March and get a calm day with a good hatch.

We have had the most luck with red rock worms (San Juan Worms are similar) and black leaches. RS2s during a hatch even in the wind simulating the emerger can be amazing but the fish tend to like a little movement on the emergers and will even refuse a perfect drift.

This is a great fishery but make sure you are ready for the wind and harsh weather. Dress warm.

Reaction score
Gary.. The Reef is no secret.. best fishing..Now till runoff.
You are in for an experience..This years flows were record breakers...over 7k cfs
It's in the 500's now..Prime time..
Weeds should have been whipped off with the torrent of water coming from the dam.
Bugs as mentioned in the web sites are most accurate.
Rod Size.. 5 is fun and a work out..
6 is the nominal rod I use their.. enough collateral to back your presentation.
Presentation..It doesn't matter.. The Bio mass in the water ranges from leaches,worms, yellow sallies,caddis,sculpin,cranefly,green scuds too eggs and 22 midges..
Your 1st fish, pump its stomach, the most predominate bug in the tube copy it.. Theo's Grandmother lives in Casper..ask him..hell he knows this river!
Here's a few pictures from last year..and great fishing to you! If I knew you better I'd ask to tag along.

dang old water spots

Good fishing my friend stay thirsty

gjcordray

Reaction score
I am salivating on my computer right now. That sounds better than a size 22 midge on 6X to me. Can't wait!

Gary