The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 07:25 PM

soxincarolina is on a distinguished road
Default Question on cutting line

I am relatively new to fly-fishing and often think that my reel has far to much line on it. I have an Okuma Cascade Combo and work with the amount of the line that came with it. Would it be out of bounds to cut some of the line off? It just seems bulky and kind of excessive. What is the usual length of line on a 9ft rod?
Old 01-29-2009, 07:55 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Question on cutting line

Either my reel, fly line, or some other instructions that I read said that the reel full of line and backing should be approx. 1/8 inch below the top of the spool. For my Okuma Helios that was 140yds/20lb backing, plus 90' of 6 wt fly line. I'm new too so I don't have a lot of confidence offering advice. Let us know what you find out.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:22 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

The lenght of your rod realy dosent have much to do with the lenght of your line. What you need to know is how much backing your reel will hold with the size line you have on it. Like one of my reels takes 120 yards of 20lb backing with a 5wt line.
If your fly line is to close to the rim of your spool it can hangup in there and damage your line.
You really dont want to cut your fly line, I have and know folks that have cut their fly line but it was for something special, not to make it fit the spool better. All you need to do is take all the fly line off your reel and then cut off the backing, then strip 15-25 yards of the backing off your reel, cut it, then re-attach to your fly line.
Hope this helps
Bear
Old 01-29-2009, 08:25 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxincarolina View Post
I am relatively new to fly-fishing and often think that my reel has far to much line on it. I have an Okuma Cascade Combo and work with the amount of the line that came with it. Would it be out of bounds to cut some of the line off? It just seems bulky and kind of excessive. What is the usual length of line on a 9ft rod?
Most lines are 90' with a few exceptions, so go with the 90' idea. You can put the line on the reel and then add backing on top to get the exact amount, but it is time consuming.
As far as backing, you could be 50 YARDS to 200 YARDS or more, so like I said, time consuming. Fill the reel to where you have a little clearance from the brackets holding the reel together, however, if you have a fishing store (including Sportsmens) take the reel and let them do it with a machine for a slight fee if any. Plus, make sure you put the line on the right direction (Weight Forward or Triangle taper - Double taper won't matter.)
Old 01-29-2009, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hey Sox,

I sent you a PM (privet mesage) open it and I'll try to sort you out OK?

Ard
Old 01-30-2009, 03:52 AM

Nooksack Mac is on a distinguished road

Several subjects here are touched on in the previous replies. I'm assuming that you already have the line and backing on your reel, and that it's nearly a too-tight fit. (The two may fit the reel ok when carefully wound on, but when you're hastily winding in line while fighting a fish, it's likely to build up to a hump, and you can find your reel "high-centered.") Most people can't and won't cast an entire line. It's ok to cut 20, 20, even 30 feet off the running line, or remove some of the backing.

To get a perfect fit, you need an extra reel or two with empty spools (or a line winder, which is unnecessary). First wind on the fly line. Then cover the fly line with backing line until the reel spool is filled with 1/8" or 3/16" to spare. Cut the backing; wind it onto your empty spool, or back onto the backing spool. Remove the fly line. Fill the spool with the backing line you've selected, then permanently attach it to the back of the fly line. Takes a matter of minutes; something to do while watching tv.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi soxincarolina,

Since you are relative new I want to make sure you don't just pull out some of the fly line and cut it off. You need to reduce the amount of the backing you have on the reel. You don't normally cut the fly line its self.

Frank
Old 01-30-2009, 02:58 PM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

There are two types of "line" on your reel right now. The first is the fly line (the part you can see) which is the first 90' on the reel, the second is "backing" which finishes at the reel's hub. If you have too much "line" on the reel what you really have is too much backing under the fly line. My advice would be to either go out in the yard or find another open area (living room rugs work well, too) and peel off the fly line and the backing all the way down to the reel's hub and cut the knot at the hub. It is best to lay the line out in long rows; do not simply pile it onto the floor or ground or it will tangle and knot. Once you have removed the line and backing you need to wind it back onto the reel, but do so "backwards". Starting at the front of the fly line (leader/tippet end), loop the fly line around the reel's hub a few turns and then carefully wind the fly line and then the backing onto the reel. Stop when the accumulated winding of fly line and backing is ~1/8" below the reel's cross pieces spanning the spool. Cut the backing at this point. Now unwind the line one last time from the spool. The knot attaching the backing to the hub which you cut was an Arbor knot. Here's a video showing how to tie an Arbor knot: The Arbor Knot. Tie the backing to the reel's hub with a new Arbor knot and then carefully wind the backing and fly line back onto your reel. If you did this correctly the fly line should end ~1/8" below the reel rim, just as you measured.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:14 PM

jdorsey61 has a spectacular aura aboutjdorsey61 has a spectacular aura about

Since you're relatively new to the sport, I would like to stress the importance of making sure you maintain tension on the line going onto the reel when fighting a fish or otherwise retreiving line, and try to keep it as level as possible.
Make sure you don't have loose coils before you go to the trouble of cutting your backing.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:11 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Question on cutting line

Well said, MBWCC.