The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2009, 12:33 PM

frogge is on a distinguished road
Default Overplanning Yellowstone

Hey,
I'm planning a trip to the Yellowstone area with my son this summer. He's 25 and in good shape, a novice flycaster. I'm probably going to fly into Salt Lake City and drive up. Now starts the million questions. I'm considering fishing the Belcher area and Cave falls area. My window for this trip is July, since my son is not available in Aug.. The guide indicates that this area fishes better in August and fall and also warns about Mosquitos earlier in the summer. So which week of July would you pick?

Second and possbily unanswerable question. Would enjoy doing hiking with the fishing, but I'm not too interested in backpacking several days worth of stuff. Is it feasible to do day hikes from either a trail head campground or a campground near Aston.

I've also considered hiking into the canyon section of the Yellowstone. Is that likely to be busy with fishermen and what week of July would be best?

If we have a week is it also reasonbable to try to get up to the Slough Creek area and is it worth the effort.

Part of me says to just show up and kind of figure it out on the fly. The other part of me wants to optimize our time and avoid wasting alot of time.

Thanks in advance for any help,Frogge.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overplanning Yellowstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogge View Post
Hey, Hello Frogge.
I'm planning a trip to the Yellowstone area with my son this summer. He's 25 and in good shape, a novice flycaster. I'm probably going to fly into Salt Lake City and drive up. Curiosity question. Why not fly directly into Idaho Falls and get a rental car there? You would be 3 hrs closer to the area. Now starts the million questions. I'm considering fishing the Belcher area and Cave falls area. My window for this trip is July, since my son is not available in Aug.. The guide indicates that this area fishes better in August and fall and also warns about Mosquitos earlier in the summer. Them nasty Black Flies can be bad in the area also, so be sure to have some clothing options that protect against them rotten buggers. Also the aforementioned Mosquitos are 'LARGE' and thick especially in good water years.So which week of July would you pick?The area usually has some very good Mayfly hatches in July but that is also dependant on how hot the weather is. Hopper fishing will be starting on the Henry's Fork, and other local waters(Madison River included). Not to forget Caddis hatches everywhere.
The area below Ashton Reservoir can be very good in July.

You mentioned that you had recieved info from a Guide, What shop have you been talking with?

Second and possbily unanswerable question. Would enjoy doing hiking with the fishing, but I'm not too interested in backpacking several days worth of stuff. Is it feasible to do day hikes from either a trail head campground or a campground near Aston. Sure you can do day hikes, but honestly you probably will not get far away from any other folks if that's what your after.
Another possibility for a day hike would be to hike in below Mesa Falls, or in between the upper and lower falls. Not a real long hike but it is steep, and keep an eye out for snakes.

I've also considered hiking into the canyon section of the Yellowstone. Is that likely to be busy with fishermen and what week of July would be best? That is a very steep hike with not much in between you and the river if you were to slip, and that water is very fast. Also supposed to be alot of snakes in that area.

If we have a week is it also reasonbable to try to get up to the Slough Creek area and is it worth the effort. This is a great option, but if you want solitude you will need to get up to the second or third meadow and you will need to plan on staying overnight on the third meadow.

Part of me says to just show up and kind of figure it out on the fly. The other part of me wants to optimize our time and avoid wasting alot of time. With so many waters in the area you can just about fish anyway you choose too, lakes, large rivers , small streams, spring creeks, tail waters.
Keep asking questions and I will help you all I can.

Thanks in advance for any help,Frogge.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-30-2009, 02:22 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

The Bechler river/meadows area does stay swampy into July. If that is really where you want to fish I would say come as late in July as you can. Also, the later you fish Bechler, the better chance you have of fishing terrestrials on Slough Creek, which would be IMO the best time to fish that water as well.

On a side note, there are a lot of books you could buy about hiking and camping in Yellowstone. I have one called "Hiking Yellowstone Park" put out by Falcon Guides that I bought for the same purpose that you might want it for.

Good luck on your trip! Keep us informed about how it goes and take picks!
Old 01-30-2009, 08:49 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Get in touch with Bob Jacklin @ Jacklin's fly shop in West Yellowstone. He's a real gentleman & knows the area well. He's on the show circuit now but he'll still get back to you.

Bob Jacklin's Fly Shop: West Yellowstone, Montana
Old 01-30-2009, 11:53 PM

pc40chas is on a distinguished road

i dont know where it is your talking about, but i had a chance to go there for 2 weeks a while back and i cant wait to go again. i caught my first cutthroat. about 16''. not huge but ill remember it forever. llamar river on an olive elk hair caddis. im jelous, have fun
Old 01-31-2009, 10:25 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

My choice of contacting a fly shop in W Yellowstone would be Craig Matthews'
Blue Ribbon Anglers.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:39 AM

2PawsRiver will become famous soon enough

I have two books in excellent condition

Fishing Yellowstone National Park by Richard Parks

Fishing Yellowstone Waters by Charles E. Brooks

Together a 38 dollar value....................20 dollars to your door if your interested.

Edit....forgot I also have The Yellowstone Fly Fishing Guide by Craig Mathews and Clayton Molinero....$16.95 that I will throw in as well.

I bought them when we were planning our trip last year, but we went with the Wind River Wilderness area instead.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
My choice of contacting a fly shop in W Yellowstone would be Craig Matthews'
Blue Ribbon Anglers.
Link for Mojo's suggestion. Blue Ribbon Flies

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-03-2009, 03:38 PM

frogge is on a distinguished road

Hey,
Thanks everyone for all the help. The Guide I have is by Ken Retallic, Flyfishers guide to Wyoming. 2paws, I may be interested in your books(?why so many?). I'm still a ball of indecision. I'm seeing if I can go the last wk of July or the first wk of August to try to have a shot at hoppers. From my reading if the run off is early some water may be low and warm by that time. On the other hand it looks like some water that is closed for spawning opens up in August. I've contacted my son and he will determine to a large degree what week we go. I guess then I'll have one less variable. How does this sound. Fly into SLC and drive to Jackson. Fish the Gross Ventre. Drive into Yellowstone and hike to 7 mile pool. Drive up to Lamar, Slough Creek, Soda Butte area and fish what ever I can depending on campsite availabilty and water levels. Thanks again,Frogge.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:14 PM

NickFlyer is on a distinguished road

I went to Yellowstone last June. I went with my girl on a camping trip but took my pole, what little fishing I did wasn't very fruitfull. It was beautifull though and a great camping trip. Drove up from the cenrtal coast of CA, took about 18 hours. Hope you have a great trip.