The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 09:53 PM

smog7 will become famous soon enough
Default I am planning a road/fishing trip

For the past couple of years I have been toying with the idea of driving California's Highway 1. I currently live close to where hwy1 connects with the 101 in pismo beach.

I would like to start the trip down in san diego, drive hwy 1 till the border of oregon, and drive back through the central valley. I have no idea how long this trip will take, but I am guessing about a week to a week and a half.

I would like to bring my fly gear with me and do some fishing while I am resting from driving.

I am still in the planning process and I would like to hear the input from those of you who live in cal. Which streams, rivers, and lakes should I visit on my trip? Which cities should I drive through? Money will be somewhat of an issue, not sure where I will be staying (most likely in my car).
Old 11-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am planning a road/fishing trip

Smog: Sounds like a very cool trip, best of luck! Just wanted to say I grew up in Arroyo Grande, still have family that live in the area. Very nice place to live, but it is getting a bit crowded..........I like the old days when it was way less crowded. I never did any fishing when I lived in the area so I can't help with your planning, but good luck anyway and be sure to post a trip report and photos if you have access to a camera, hwy 1 is a beautiful area.

Larry

Larry
Old 11-27-2010, 11:39 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

i did that drive in two stages almost 20 years ago, from la jolla to just north of san francisco, then a couple of years later from SF to beyond the washington state border, sticking to 1 or along the coast most of the way. there was a guide book out there once aimed at beach places to see and stay and i wish i could recall the name for it helped me out a lot. included were listings for hostels which you can find elsewhere. very cheap way of traveling. some nights i'd camp at a beach site, other times just pull onto a side road behind a line of trees and sleep in the car. it was a great experience actually. i went to school in SLO so knew the area from santa barbara up to cambria pretty well. one highlight was running into greg lemond around jenner, ca. shortly after he won the worlds championship. talked to him at a roadside cafe where he was taking a break and then after he took off on his bike, almost ran him over taking a photo of him as i drove alongside.

i wasn't fishing at the time so can't help out with that.

have a great time when you go. do it do it do it.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:15 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

December/January are a good time to take that trip is fishing is on the agenda. North of San Francisco you've got the Russian river right off 101, further north the Eel, (there are a few smaller others), then the Smith just south of the Oregon Boarder.

Once you cross into Oregon (5 miles?) you hit the Windchuck, then the Chetco, and and hour and change north you're at the mouth of the Rogue river.

From there on up to Washington it's one coastal river after another, after another.

I'll get you the link to the Oregon Fish and Game web site, it lists damned near every body of water in the State, and what's going on at the moment. Info can be a bit dated, but I've found it to be quite accurate overall.

Edit: http://www.dfw.state.or.us/RR/index.asp Just click on the zone you want to review and you're good to go.

fae

Edit/edit: USGS river gage info is darned helpful in planning your trip. Weather forecast will tell you a lot, but the gage really tells you what's going on. Most rivers have one or more depending upon the length of the river. Here's the one for the Chetco: http://waterdata.usgs.gov/or/nwis/uv?14400000 Only thing 'wrong' with the Chetco's gage is it's located about 6.2 miles up from the mouth so the reading doesn't include what's coming into the lower river from the North Fork.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:29 PM

smog7 will become famous soon enough

thanks for the info guys. I plan on doing the trip during the very start of next year's summer. School and work will not allow me to take 2 weeks off....

I live in santa maria and went to school in san jose so I know both areas fairly well. I don't know much about anything north of san francisco, south of santa barbara, or anything in the central valley.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:39 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

If you're heading up in early summer the places you can fish (river wise) will drop a bit, but you'll still find good summer steelhead/"1/2Pounders fishing on the lower Rogue. The Russian River has quite a bass population in the Healdsburg area and up stream.

I'm sure there are other coastal rivers that have summer steelhead runs, but not too personally framilier with the who/what/where/when. But the 'Game link' above (and a good road map) should give you a pretty good idea where to 'target.'

Fred