The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2009, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Trout Fishing Strategy, do you use it?

It seems there are a good many new fly fishers joining this forum. Rather than asking us all the questions here are a few for you to ponder on.

If you are fairly new to fly fishing. This is meant to get you thinking about how you approach fishing a stream in general. If you are a 40 year veteran please let the new additions to the sport play with this one a little.

Below are three simple questions for you to think about. Please post your answers with the number of the question your answer pertains to.

#1. When you get to the creek if there are not a bunch of people there already do you plan how you will fish the water, where do you start?

#2. Do you know where the fish should be located in a creek? This is supposing there is a good sustaining population of fish present.

#3. Do you know where the biggest or most dominant fish may be hanging out?
Old 01-30-2009, 08:18 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: Trout Fishing Strategy, do you use it?

Great Tips Ard,
Another one is do you stand a ways away from the river and just look.
See if there are bugs in teh air or fishi riesing. Are there fish chaseing bait fish in the shallows? Id there a family up stream fishing? Belive it or not some of the best fishing I have done was 50-60 yards down stream from swimmers, they kick food out of the rocks and trout and other fish gather down stream to eat on the stuff washing down.
Great thread
Bear
Old 01-30-2009, 09:43 PM

Shane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the rough

Well, for #1, that's easy. If I get there and there are lots of people, I get back in the truck and go elsewhere.

As for the rest, I read everything I can about fishing, rely on the advice of oldtimers, and catch enough fish that I won't starve.

The best tool I've found, aside from good advice and fish reports is topographical maps of lakes and rivers. Those things are a gold mine of information about where the fish should be.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:29 PM

pc40chas is on a distinguished road

i always say stand back and look at the flow and read the water for a few minutes. just because there are people, doesnt always mean they know what there doing. so i always check it out before i hike. they could be just above or just below a prime holding spot. #1 i like to start fishing right near the waters edge and work my way out, even if it doesnt look to promising. sometimes theres a nice surprise waiting there. plus i learned it slows you down a bit from running out, standing in the hole and fishing where you would be walking on the other side. now you dont make it in as far and your catching more fish.go figure. im not to proud to say, ill always be learning how to fish better. thanks to all of you
Old 01-30-2009, 11:46 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That's a good approach Chas, where would you expect to find the big fish if one were there? Generally speaking where might the best chance of a big one hanging out?
Old 01-31-2009, 12:02 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

1- Generally where I fish, there's not a terrible bunch of people. I can find a spot a bit away from the crowd....don't care for crowds, anyway.

2- I usually look for a lie or an eddy at the end of some riffles or at the edge of deep run. The water at the top is usually moving at a different speed than in deeper water. That, or I look for large rock sticking out and fish around it. Usually, that's where they're at.

3- Where I usually go, the big guys are deep, 4-6ft. I try to get something down there, quickly as the run is swift. I've caught them in a lazy pool, but the big dogs are near the deep run.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:47 AM

pc40chas is on a distinguished road

#3 i usally catch a nice number of good sized fish, but i could probably take some notes if your willing to share. i like to fish the middle to the end of the run the best. im normaly throwing nymphs, so maybe its the speed or the flow that makes me more comfortable there. confidence is key
Old 01-31-2009, 10:24 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I think the most important strategy is to learn your home water really well.
Become familiar with all the major hatches, the hydraulics of the different pools and pocket water, the location of all the holding lies. and most importantly, where the big fish are.

Then learn another river

In my area I know a good handful of streams pretty well and I make a point of fishing each one during the prime hatch. I know the 'N' River has an excellent Hendrickson hatch and that prime time is early afternoons in late April into mid May.
"Q" River has a blanket hatch of zebra caddis that lasts from the second week of May to the second week of June...You hit it right and you'll have 50 fish days.
Then in the early summer I'll switch over to fishing evenings at the 'M" River for the predictable sulfur hatch

But it's not just trout.... Right after ice-out I know to fish south facing coves in the local ponds for crappie....Pre-spawn is when the largest bluegills are active.... Hot, humid summer nights I enjoy fishing for oversized bass...

and most important, I know that when the lilacs are in bloom I better be fishing for striper 'cuz that's when the biggest fish are around

Old 01-31-2009, 11:07 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry
I didn't realize 'till it was too late that I shouldn't participate in this thread
Old 01-31-2009, 11:21 AM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
#1. When you get to the creek if there are not a bunch of people there already do you plan how you will fish the water, where do you start?

#2. Do you know where the fish should be located in a creek? This is supposing there is a good sustaining population of fish present.

#3. Do you know where the biggest or most dominant fish may be hanging out?

I have the same answer to all 3. They are all a 4 mile hike from where you have to park the vehicle.