Hello From the cold rivers of Montana

fishalong

Reaction score
Just wanted to say hello, I'm a new member living in Bozeman Montana that is addicted to fly fishing. It's snowing here and has been cold, but there has still been some really good fishing. I'm a streamer junkie, so I consider any time of year to be good enough to fly fish.

Anyways, nice to meet everyone, and I look forward to learning and hopefully I will be able to help. If anyone needs information about the rivers in Montana I would more than happy to answer any questions.

I'm actually going to be looking for information on fly fishing southern Canada, been to the rivers around Fernie but that's about it.

gjcordray

Reaction score
Welcome and enjoy! Always good to have another Montana guy on the forum. Make sure to drop by the Rocky Mountain Range threads once in a while. Somebody always has a question about Montana in that section and you might just be the guy to help out.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to hearing about your area of the country, you have some fabulous fishing opportunities up there.

Larry

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Add my welcome too! Ex-wife (we still have lots of contact ... all good) just moved to Hamilton, Montana this past week. Amazing photos coming through on her web photo board.

Being she was born/raised in Northern California, this will be interesting to see how soon 'Oh the snow is so beautiful' will ware a bit thin.
:faint:

Vans

Reaction score
Hello from Oregon, fishalong. You live in a beautiful place, i am envious. Welcome to the forum, these guys have tons of knowledge.

Pocono

Reaction score
I think I could easily get behind having a little fishing cottage somewhere in the Paradise Valley. :rolleyes:

Nice location!

Pocono

sevenmxf

Reaction score
Welcome, fishalong.

The people here are top notch. Extremely helpful and patient with all kinds of questions — very unforumlike. I just posted a few questions about your geographic slice of our great nation. Looking forward to getting out there in July 2011!

Cheers!
Michael

boser

Reaction score
fishalong, welcome and congrats on the move to Montana. I envy you. I'm in Iowa and we have very few trout venues.

BTW, please tell me what you use for fly's when fishing in winter conditions. I'm curious because I fish in western Nebraska on occasion and may have a trip this winter.

Best Regards, Boser

fishalong

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Boser, I use mainly one fly all year long here in Montana. It's a fly my father created which he calls the triple F (basically it's a simple green and black woolly bugger with a weight on the front which he paints red eyes on). I'll ask him if it's alright if I post a pic of the fly up here on the forum. For how simple it is it's amazing that I never see any woolly buggers that look like it at the fly shops.

When I fish in the winter the only thing I change is my stripping speed. I like to slow everything down and cast a lot of dead floats, maybe a trickle of some action to make it look like it's alive. The trout here are tired when there is ice, but they'll still bite, they just won't swim very fast to get the meal.

As far as where I go to fish in the cold, well, we have areas like three forks and other places west of Bozeman that don't get very much snow and stay mainly dry all year. These are usually the best rivers to fish in the winter season of Montana.

i'm rambling.

Once again thanks everyone for the nice welcome!

boser

Reaction score
fishalong, I appreciate the advice...it sounds like you have perfected using your Dads Fly. I would love to see a picture but if your Dad does not want it posted , I'll certainly understand.

Best Regards, Boser

bjweller

Reaction score
Welcome. My friend Gary (who also responded) and I spent a week up in Montana last summer. We spent 7 days fishing about 12 hrs a day and had a great trip. Lost count of the fish and the sizes and we even did a drift boat trip one day. We fished the Madison, Ruby, Gallatin, and Big Horn. We also lightened Montana's Whiskey supply by a little. If you're ever inclined to head south to Colorado let me know. We have some great fishing here!