The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2009, 12:31 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Hackle Pliers

With all the different hackle pliers available, what is your favorite style or brand. There is nothing more frustrating ,(except your thread breaking) then loosing a hackle on the last wrap. What do you use on flies 22 & smaller??

Neil
Old 01-31-2009, 12:41 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hackle Pliers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
What do you use on flies 22 & smaller??
Plunger clips.... (I never knew what they were called 'till just now)
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:00 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

FISHN50 thanks for posting this question! Hackle pliers have been the bane of my fly tying sessions! I have tried several different kinds and with all of them, the feather breaks right at a critical moment. I am probably not using them correctly, but I haven't had the same difficulty since I started using just my fingers for wrapping feathers.

So, I would also love to know what works - especially with smaller flies/feathers. I have not seen plunger clips before. Do they work with smaller feathers?
Old 01-31-2009, 01:38 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I've used those Electronic test clips also, You just have to smooth out the brass hook a little as they usually have a sharp corner & that will cut the feathers.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:44 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been using Dr. Slick pliers for quite a while, and they're really the only
pliers I like. They'll hold anything, but are light enough to hang from #18
hackle.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:07 PM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about

I use the same as Riptide. I tried pretty much everything and they're the ones I like working with the most. I didn't know the name of those either!
Old 01-31-2009, 05:40 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I have the same ones as Frank B. but to be honest, I don't ever use them...I don't use anything.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:15 PM

eaglesfn68 is on a distinguished road

i like using rotating hackle pliers.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:44 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I cant think of teh name of it but I just bought a small black one with a push button(like a bobber) and a little metal finger comes out the end, great for small flies, anything smaller then a 18 I buy though lol
For bigger flies I like the ones with a rubber pad on the grippers.
Bear
Old 01-31-2009, 07:20 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfishinbear View Post
I cant think of teh name of it but I just bought a small black one with a push button(like a bobber) and a little metal finger comes out the end, great for small flies, anything smaller then a 18 I buy though lol
For bigger flies I like the ones with a rubber pad on the grippers.
Bear
Plunger,,,, thanks riptide lol