The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 04:31 PM

Shane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the rough
Default Traveling fly box

Let's say you were retired and in a position to travel all over North America. Having a separate fly box keyed to each hatch in each region would be impractical. With what flies would you stock your travel box?

The generic travel box I have carried for years is heavy on stimulators, woolly buggers, and small terrestrials, with just a few midges and soft hackles. This selection has caught fish on both coasts in the US, but I know I have missed some great fish due to limited selection.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traveling fly box

Parachute Adams in sizes 12-24 in one box alone.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 11-28-2010, 11:44 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Some from the top 10 list. Probably: Para. Adams; EHC; Griffiths Gnats; GRHE; PTN's.
Sure like to keep some Ants; Wooly Buggers. Better stop.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:33 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

A properly loaded C&F box can hold up to 400 flies. With the flies that I use, they would eat up spacing. I would have about 250 to 300 flies.

I could get the major categories covered:
PMD
BWO
Midges
Drakes
Attractors
Caddis
Stoneflies
Terrestrials
Aquatic Worms
Buggers/Leeches

MP
Old 12-01-2010, 12:40 AM
winterwinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
A properly loaded C&F box can hold up to 400 flies. With the flies that I use, they would eat up spacing. I would have about 250 to 300 flies.

I could get the major categories covered:
PMD
BWO
Midges
Drakes
Attractors
Caddis
Stoneflies
Terrestrials
Aquatic Worms
Buggers/Leeches

MP
so many categories!
Old 12-01-2010, 03:47 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

streamers... a quick way to find active feeding or agressive fish no matter what species.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:35 AM

dang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Stroud View Post
Let's say you were retired and in a position to travel all over North America. Having a separate fly box keyed to each hatch in each region would be impractical.
1st I gotta say way to go! You are living the dream..Traveling the country and fly fishing.. I have a question about your method of travel Air, Rail or Auto
the answer I give depends..if its by air obviously you want to pack light. so one maybe two box's..if that's the case.
Anything bateis Anything Stone as far as nymphs and streamers go
that means.Buggers 4 to 12 PT HE RSll Zebra PMD and BWO size 14 to 22
Drys..Befus emerger..and Caddis the fly that Tyler ties is amazing. get his recipe and make your own variations..It's also know as the "Spotlight" emerger.Caddis Grey, Brown,Green,{ Black(also imitates an ant)}
If your traveling by something on the ground IE.. Rail Van Car Bus Tank.
bring your vise and material.Create something..at your age discovery is a novelty..unless your fly fishing..
Tight line and many fish to you on your sojourn.
This is a great link that will let you decide what bug, when and where.
Aquatic Insects of American Trout Streams
Old 12-01-2010, 03:48 PM

Shane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the rough

I recently retired from the Navy after 20 years (at the ripe old age of 39) and haven't had much luck finding work. So, having been handed lemons, I'm thinking of making lemonade. I am heavily considering just going to school, combining "real" classes and online ones rather than taking a dead end job that I will hate. With that combination of classes, I would be able to travel at least six months out of the year, probably more. Maybe by the time I finish my education, the job market will be somewhat better.

As a comic side note, the one solid job interview I have done was for a traveling consultant position. The company would fly me all over North America. The money was good, but the job would suck.

If I were traveling for pleasure, I'd probably drive most of it, so taking a vise would work out in that case. If I went with that consulting job, flying would be the norm. I was thinking of just getting a vest with two built in boxes in front. I could easily fill those with goodies.

When it comes to experiments at the vise, I have tied some STRANGE things. And I have a massive stash of feathers, fur, threads, and such that the wife is constantly mentioning... I made up one fly that I call the exotic dancer. It has an ostrich abdomen, peacock head and thorax, and sparse guinea hackle for wings and legs. Bluegill eat it up. Aside from that, I tie loads of soft hackles, in lots of sizes, with variations of dubbing, tails, parachutes, bead heads, and all kinds of crazy stuff. They will catch just about every species in the water, including the odd bullfrog now and then. I know some people say buggers are a good choice when you have no clue what to throw, but I swear by my "freak show" soft hackles. Hot or cold, rain or shine, they just seem to catch fish.

That makes me wonder if I couldn't just take a vise and mount it on the center console in my truck. I could park, walk to the water, watch the fish, seine a little water, flip over some rocks, then come back and tie up some flies. That might work unless there was a significant distance to hike from the truck to the river.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:10 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Stroud View Post
That makes me wonder if I couldn't just take a vise and mount it on the center console in my truck. I could park, walk to the water, watch the fish, seine a little water, flip over some rocks, then come back and tie up some flies. That might work unless there was a significant distance to hike from the truck to the river.
I think that I read that the late Jack Gartside had his vise mounted to the steering wheel of his cab when he tied. Let me know if you come up with a system. Right now I just clamp mine to a pinic table, and stuff blows everywhere.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:38 PM

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500. It has a large fold down section between the two front seats. It's a big, flat area where a pedestal mounted vise would sit nicely. And that center console has lots of storage space between the fold down section and the empty seat area under it.