The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 02:16 PM

Tommy Boy is on a distinguished road
Default Need some opinions.....TFO vs. St. Croix

Getting ready to purchase my first rod. Looking to spend around 160 or so. Have done alot of research on rods and am getting a 9'0 5 wt. moderate-fast action. I have narrowed my choices down the the St. Croix Imperial rod and TFO's Lefty Kreh Professional series.

Can anyone give me any feedback on these choices?

Thanks
Old 02-01-2009, 02:57 PM

rowdy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Need some opinions.....TFO vs. St. Croix

You could buy a nicer "Used" rod with that money.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:04 PM

rowdy will become famous soon enough

orvis tls power matrix five wt and 555 line wf5f - Fly Fishing Classifieds
Old 02-01-2009, 03:32 PM

Backcastwards will become famous soon enough

I have a TFO pro 4 wt. and it has shown itself to be very worthy in my arsenal. I must have hit it with a bead head fly on a backcast and damaged it causing the top section to break. Sent it in and got it repaired under warranty in a very short time. That is not likely to be the case if you buy a "better" used rod for the same money. I would buy another TFO.
Gary
Old 02-01-2009, 04:21 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

I have a TFO pro 4 wt as well. It has a good warrantry and has good quality for the price. However I would also recomend buying a used rod. With the economy the way it is, if you are patient i bet you can find a great deal on a used rod.

Also there are rodmaking forums out there as well, you can get a custom made TFO pro cheaper than buying one retail if you dont care about the warrantry.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:42 PM
RDRogers is on a distinguished road

Take a look at the TFO Finesse series. They have a more moderate action which might make a better first rod. I have one in a 4wt and like it much better than the pro series.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:20 AM

jrsjd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
Getting ready to purchase my first rod. Looking to spend around 160 or so. Have done alot of research on rods and am getting a 9'0 5 wt. moderate-fast action. I have narrowed my choices down the the St. Croix Imperial rod and TFO's Lefty Kreh Professional series.

Can anyone give me any feedback on these choices?

Thanks
I have a 7'9" TFO Finesse 4 wt. and a 9' 5 wt. St. Croix Legend and 9' 8 wt.St Croix Avid. All are excellent. For the money, the Avid and TFO are best buys. The Avid is a faster rod than the Imperial and Finesse so it depends on what you will be throwing. If it's big flys in the wind, go with the Avid for a few bucks more - if it's medium or less waters for average trout or brim, go with the Imperial or TFO although the TFO can handle some bigger flys if you overline it and make shorter casts.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:32 AM

Dr. Gonzo is on a distinguished road

Test the rods before you make a decision. Casting is such a subjective thing, what might be a great rod to one person is a worthless club to someone else. I have a TFO Finesse that I tested against a Winston that cost twice as much. The TFO was so much nicer that I would have bought it if it had been the more expensive rod. If this is your first rod you should keep in mind that slower tapers will be easier to learn on at least to a point, but you'll learn how to cast whichever rod you buy. Definitely get something with a warranty, as a beginner you'll be putting lots of stress on that rod breaking off snags and getting caught in trees while hiking.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:00 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Look also at the Scott A2. It's an American beauty that is being blown-out to make room for the A3.
You will probably never find the need to 'step up' to another either!
Old 02-03-2009, 12:23 PM

Backcastwards will become famous soon enough

If you are still looking, here is a brand new TFO with warranty card for a great price.
Gary
temple fork professional 5wt. - FAOL BB