The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 08:14 PM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about
Default Warranty & Winston

I know there is a warranty thread going on right now, but [I] have a more specific warranty question as relates to Winston. I have the opportunity to purchase an 8'6" 5wt BIIx that has been fished exactly twice and is in excellent condition for $250. At that price, I don't see how I could pass it up. However, my concern is the warranty. The original owner has the warranty card, but it is past the 30 day window. Does anyone know how Winston would respond? If I purchased the rod and sent in the card would it be honored? What about the warranty if the rod is never sent in? I would like to get the rod, but if there is no warranty I am not sure if I should shell out the cash. Thoughts?
Old 02-02-2009, 09:38 PM

FlyfishnakedInc is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Warranty & Winston

R.L Winston Rod Company
500 South Main Street, P.O. Box 411
Twin Bridges, Montana 59754
Telephone: 406.684.5674
Fax: 406.684.5533

call them and ask for the repair and service department i have many times i own about 5 winstons. They are good people i dont see why they wouldnt honor the warranty
Old 02-02-2009, 09:43 PM

saltflytyer is on a distinguished road

I am sure if they thought you were the original owner and merely were late they would honor it. If they found out you werent they wouldnt and it would cost about $180 a section to fix plus shipping.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:26 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

If you like the rod, you should buy it...especially at pennies on the dollar!
I've never personally seen a rod broken while fishing, but have broken a
couple in car doors. That's something that can be avoided with an ounce of
prevention.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltflytyer View Post
I am sure if they thought you were the original owner and merely were late they would honor it. If they found out you werent they wouldnt and it would cost about $180 a section to fix plus shipping.
I agree totally. I am 99% sure they won't cover it if you tell them the same story you just told us.
However, anything is possible. I bought my Hubby a DEMO Lt. It was printed right on the rod. The Store I bought it from said they would make sure it was fully warranty. Well, the ferrule wore out on the tip section. Went through a little **** at first, then the store manager said something to them and they covered it....the store is no longer there though, so, not sure on the future. I spent $500.+ on that rod. Smart thing on my part, while they fixed the tip section, I had them make an extra tip for $70.

Like Frank said, you are getting this rod for a killer price. Even if they do charge you to fix it, I think you are still coming out ahead.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:38 AM

Benford is on a distinguished road

I asked the same question to a different brand, and I honestly didn't realize I had a limited time to send in the warranty card, but they were happy to honor it despite being two months past due.

I'm sure Winston will be perfectly accepting of your late card...they should because their rods aren't the cheapest on the market, haha