The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2010, 02:43 PM

tttr83 is on a distinguished road
Default Entry Level Waders - Advice Needed

Hi,

I've read that a good set of entry level waders should be between 100 and 150 bucks. I know no pair of waders will last forever but with moderate usage, how long can I expect a pair within this price range to last? I'm not quite sure the benefits/cons between all neoprene waders and nylon waders. How are they both in terms of durability and breath ability? Also I'm pretty set on getting a set of stockingfoot waders.

I would be wading into cold streams and rivers for mostly trout and steelhead.

I've been looking at potentially Redhead's Classic II which is under 100 bucks but it seemed to have solid reviews. Does anyone have input in these?

Another pair I was looking at were Redington's mid level waders. Their Wayfarer wader line. It looks pretty solid, but I couldn't find many user reviews.

The third pair was Simm's Blackfoot waders. They seem really bare bones though for the 140.00 price tag they hold. Thoughts on these?

Any other suggestions would be greatly accepted and considered. Thank you all in advance.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:15 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entry Level Waders - Advice Needed

Spend another $50.00 (unless someone has them on sale) and get a set of Dan Bailey's.

'Nuf said.

fae
Old 11-29-2010, 05:03 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I'll second that!!! DB's are the cat's jammies! Granted I've only had mine a few weeks or so thats all it took for my Patagonia's to start leaking. The Dan Bailey Lightweights at 200 is unbeatable!!!!
Old 11-29-2010, 05:15 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Big fan of the Cabela's waders
No complaints with any of the 6 pairs that I've owned
Old 11-29-2010, 10:28 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I have hodgemans and I have a pair of cabelas welded seam pro waders. the Hodgemans were my first set, $100, they lasted two seasons (almost) before I had a leak in them but I was not crashing through brush. I bought the cabela waders ($270) and will never go back to cheap waders.

Now if on a budget, you can buy neoprenes (they can be had for 60 to 75 at cabelas) and will probably last you a couple seasons or more but they are warm in the summer.

I have not had the specific waders you are asking about, but I am confident the more expensive cabelas, DBs, etc will last many seasons of hard fishing based on what I have found with my step up from "inexpensive" waders.

To answer the original question - I think one to two seasons with cheap waders. much longer with the more expensive. There are guys here that guide and have had the same waders for years - because the bought the good ones.

d
Old 11-29-2010, 11:51 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

ll bean emergers. best waders at that price, period. plus one of the best warranties in the buis.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:06 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Cabela's GII's, about a buck and a half. I got about eight years out of my first set and I duck hunt in them, too. I bought them baggy so I could layer under them and they wore/leaked where the seams rubbed on the inseams after about 4 years. Fixed it with aqua seal.
I haven't worn my 5 mil Browning neoprenes since I got the breathables except last winter: I had them along as spares and had to use them.
I like the the GII's and just bought a new set.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:19 AM

gordon in nc has a spectacular aura aboutgordon in nc has a spectacular aura aboutgordon in nc has a spectacular aura about

Look at these Hodgman ( a division of Coleman ) .. look in the CLEARANCE section .. great prices and good customer service too !

Hodgman Waders - Since 1838

Also look here for good sizing help ....

Coleman - Hodgman & Mad Dog Gear Size Charts

Good luck on your new adventure !

Gordon in NC

PS These are the waders I ordered ....

http://www.hodgman.com/Classictrade-...-P2063C69.aspx
Old 11-30-2010, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

In that price range, I've heard the most praise for the LL Bean waders, and Cabelas would probably rank second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
I bought them baggy so I could layer under them and they wore/leaked where the seams rubbed on the inseams after about 4 years. Fixed it with aqua seal.
I just want to throw out that you're still better off buying waders a bit too big rather than too small in the interest of durability. Because breathable waders don't stretch, you need extra material to allow room to move. Keep in mind that while most fishing involves pretty casual walking, you'll have some river entrys and deadfall crossings that involve some considerable range of motion.

Do NOT follow her lead on wader fit-

Click the image to open in full size.

A little extra leg length is most important. It may look goofy to have lots of extra material on your leg, but it sure comes in handy when you need to step nut-high to get over something.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:35 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tttr83 View Post
I know no pair of waders will last forever but with moderate usage, how long can I expect a pair within this price range to last?
It depends on your usage and quality of the garment. I have had price point Hodgeman breathables last me less than 50 fishing days (about a season and a half). A top of the line set of Patagonias lasted me over 400 fishing days (about 7 seasons). My last set of Patagonias survived around 250 plus days (about 4 seasons - more boonie crashing involved).

Quote:
I'm not quite sure the benefits/cons between all neoprene waders and nylon waders. How are they both in terms of durability and breath ability? Also I'm pretty set on getting a set of stockingfoot waders.
Neoprenes - Good on ubercold days. Breathability is not so good.
Breathables - If you layer correctly, you should be fine for most conditions. Breathability factor is much better than neoprene.

Quote:
I've been looking at potentially Redhead's Classic II which is under 100 bucks but it seemed to have solid reviews. Does anyone have input in these?
Nope. Never heard of these.

Quote:
Another pair I was looking at were Redington's mid level waders. Their Wayfarer wader line. It looks pretty solid, but I couldn't find many user reviews.
I am using a pair of Redington Crosswater waders until the 2011 Patagonias become available. The Crosswaters are Wayfarers that do not have belt loops,built in gravel guards, anatomically shaped booties. I have about 30 days in them this season. So far so good. My only complaint is that they are not as breathable as my past sets of Patagonias.

Quote:
The third pair was Simms Blackfoot waders. They seem really bare bones though for the 140.00 price tag they hold. Thoughts on these?
Never used them. Looks like a Redington Crosswater with the Simms logo.

MP