The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 12:40 AM

rowdy will become famous soon enough
Default Used bargains

Recently I've upgraded my gear by searching the classifieds at various websites. I've made a few New friends through the transactions too!
I found an 9wt StCroix Avid for $150. A Loop 5wt Green-Line for $175 & a STH Airframe Lever-drag for $120..ya can't beat that!
Old 02-03-2009, 06:10 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Used bargains

That's a damn good price for that Avid. I paid almost $100 for my 8'-6" 4wt. The best deal I got was from the local Gander Mountain. I got an 8ft 2wt Legend Ultra for $130 out the door.

I want a 7ft 2wt to complete my small arsenal....but, is it ever really complete?
Old 02-03-2009, 08:33 AM

rowdy will become famous soon enough

I hear ya! I got my eye on a Hardy Cascapaedia now too!
Old 02-03-2009, 03:17 PM

onlymidges will become famous soon enoughonlymidges will become famous soon enough

I always look on craiglist. I found my waders ( Dan Bailey waist highs $199 ) for $50 and a SA GPX line new in the box for $20. I am always looking for bargains.

Jr

"Catch and Release"
Old 02-03-2009, 03:32 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

In this economy, you have to. The Ultra was the only rod that I spent over a $100 for.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:46 PM
DaveP63 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Used bargains

I am always on the lookout for the same kind of bargains! That's where all of my "high end" equipment came from!
Old 02-06-2009, 04:31 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Even for day to day consumables, things like leader and flies, I'm amazed at some of the deals I see on Ebay. Stuff gets sold for less than the cost of materials. Of course you have to be careful to buy from reputable sellers, and some stuff goes for alot more than it should. Perhaps the biggest downside is it's a very impersonal experience. But from a pure dollars and sense perspective, deals are there to be had. Plus the selection is impressive. You'd be amazed at what $5 can have delivered to your front door.

I'd probably be a bit leery about buying a used cell phone from somebody in a third world country. However I've participated in multiple hundreds of fishing related transactions, and never had a bad one yet, (knock on wood) Although we are all liars, it seems like we are upfront about fishing related business deals.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 02-06-2009, 07:26 AM

I got most of my leader and tippet materials from Fly Shop Closeouts (Fly Shop Closeouts)

It might not be top of the line stuff, but 12 spools (3 of 3X to 6X each) of Orvis Green Mountain tippet material for 7.00 is hard to beat.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:53 AM

Farnsrocket is on a distinguished road

Gander always has great clearance sales on their fly fishing stuff! I just got two of their Guide Series Plateau, 4 piece IM7 rods for $39.99 each!

Sierra Trading has Redington standard tippet for .45 cents for a 30m spool!!
Old 02-06-2009, 09:28 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
I got most of my leader and tippet materials from Fly Shop Closeouts (Fly Shop Closeouts)

It might not be top of the line stuff, but 12 spools (3 of 3X to 6X each) of Orvis Green Mountain tippet material for 7.00 is hard to beat.
Tippet and leaders I worry about when they're on sale. They must be on sale for a reason and I can't help but think the reasons could be that they are old, were improperly stored or any number of reasons.
This plays right into my New Years resolution of several years ago, not to lose fish due to thrift, sloppiness or laziness.