The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 01:10 PM

BigNick is on a distinguished road
Default Which side of flyrod is cranking handle on?

Here's something I would like to know how other people handle this problem. I fly fish using my right hand to cast but I cast commie tackle with my left hand and therefore crank with my right hand. But in order to do this with my fly rod I would have to change the fly rod from my right hand to the left to feel comfortable cranking or fighting a fish off the reel. I know it's not that much of a problem changing hands but in the "Heat" of battle it could be on a big red fish. I guess I could learn to fly cast with my left hand but I'm too old for that. Any one else have this problem and how do you handle it.

BigNick
Old 02-03-2009, 01:14 PM

rowdy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Which side of flyrod is cranking handle on?

I do the same thing..cast with my right hand then reel with my right hand. No sweat!
Old 02-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Nick,

Unless you're fishing an old Perfect of ST George that is not convertible to left hand wind you swap the reel to left hand. If the reel is not convertible you either get used to right hand retrieve or change reels.

I had a lovely St. George that I used for trout but never cared for the switching hands thing (creature of habit) so I sold the George and picked up a CFO IV in mint shape and have been happy ever after.

No help? Some help? That's what I did,

Ard
Old 02-03-2009, 01:32 PM

HookEmHorns will become famous soon enough

Yeah I have the same problem... haha. I always wondered that too. I feel more comfortable reeling in line with my right hand so I haven't changed any of my reels over, Fly rod or other. So I guess I would just say to do whatever is comfortable for you. You won't be worrying about what you are going to do about reeling in the line if you hook a fish, helping you concentrate on hookin those big dudes!
Old 02-03-2009, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I currently have my big fish reels set up for right hand retrieve and smaller ones for left hand, based on the idea that I will be able to crank a large fish in quicker.

After this past weekend, I plan to change the big reels so that all mine are left hand retrieve. I found it annoying to have to switch hands once you get a fish on the reel. My 6wt is set up for LH retrieve, and i liked that better. I guess my left hand has gotten more edumacated over the years.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:38 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I was discussing this issue with a very nice woman a few weeks ago. She's
a casting instructor, and recommends using your dominant hand to reel. Makes sense to me, but being somewhat right and left handed, I get
the best of both: cast with right hand, and reel with my left. I throw, golf,
cast with my right, but write with my left. I can reel right, but it's not comfortable.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:45 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

I don't think I could do what that lady instructor suggests. I have to cast with my dominant hand (right) and reel it in or strip it with my other. (left). I even do this when I used to fish spin cast. right hand casts and hold the rod and left hand retrieves. guess I am lucky its just comes natural to me. I can't even imagine a big steelie going on a run with me using my weak hand to hold the rod. I would end up getting it tore from my hands prolly haha.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'm with you FrankB2,

I started with an old south bend reel that went either way and I took left hand. I can keep up with a hard charging silver coming strait at me so I think whatever works for the individual is what works best.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:03 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which side of fly rod is cranking handle on?

I hold the rod with the dominant hand
That's the arm that does the bulk of the work and I can retrieve just as fast with my off hand

I have some reels that only reel righty...I find it very annoying to have to switch hands
Old 02-03-2009, 03:28 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

I cast with my dominant hand, my right, and reel with my left. No problem. I've even converted my spinning reels to left hand retreive and had a heck of a time chasing down a left-handed version of the baitcasting reel I wanted. Just feels natural.

And I'm with George on wanting to have the rod in my dominant when that big fish takes off. Just wish it happened more often....